Pending Trip to Costa Rica

happysongbird

Chapter Presidents
Jul 1, 2011
Nampa, Idaho
dailyimprovisations.com
Hi. It's me. We have booked a trip to Costa Rica this coming winter. We haven't been there before. I expect there will be a lot of exploring involved. As usual, I am hesitant to go barefoot in new places, and particularly if it might be jungle floor that I am unfamiliar with. Any thoughts? Minimalist foot wear suggestions? Comments on how much to try barefooted? Thanks.

Personally, I'd try to barefoot as much as possible. I've hiked barefoot in rain forests in the Caribbean and in French Polynesia. If anything, I'll put a thin pair of flip flops into the pocket of my cargo shorts or the camera bag I always carry. One place in Polynesia had trails that had been covered in gravel made of broken volcanic rock with very sharp edges, so I put on the flip flops for that section. Once through there the flips went back in my bag. Otherwise, in my experience rain forest floors are generally pretty soft and quite barefoot friendly. I doubt you'll need anything more than a thin pair of flip flops at most.

Reactions: happysongbird
Personally, I'd try to barefoot as much as possible. I've hiked barefoot in rain forests in the Caribbean and in French Polynesia. If anything, I'll put a thin pair of flip flops into the pocket of my cargo shorts or the camera bag I always carry. One place in Polynesia had trails that had been covered in gravel made of broken volcanic rock with very sharp edges, so I put on the flip flops for that section. Once through there the flips went back in my bag. Otherwise, in my experience rain forest floors are generally pretty soft and quite barefoot friendly. I doubt you'll need anything more than a thin pair of flip flops at most.

There are lots of scorpions in south america though:doctor:

Where does one get "thin" flip-flops? None of mine would fold like that. My Moc3s would, though.

Actually, there are more species of scorpions found in Arizona and California than Costa Rica.
Plus scorpions tend to be mostly nocturnal creatures, so as long as you're not poking around under rocks or logs you probably won't encounter them on a day hike.

Where does one get "thin" flip-flops? None of mine would fold like that. My Moc3s would, though.
I go to Walmart or Old Navy and buy the thinnest rubber flip flops I can find. They don't really fold up but they're thin enough to fit in a large, deep cargo pocket or a fanny pack. Most of the time that's the only pair of "shoes" I pack when I travel.

But I would also think they might get wet and they don't dry fast. Sandals would be a lot better for that if there is moisture, don't you think?
that's true
Actually, there are more species of scorpions found in Arizona and California than Costa Rica.
Plus scorpions tend to be mostly nocturnal creatures, so as long as you're not poking around under rocks or logs you probably won't encounter them on a day hike.
Not that I want to scare this girl but depends where you are at it does not matter wheather is day or night.
I seen them in bright day light in Mexico and my brother was stung TWICE at diferent times of course during the day and when that happened there was no rock/log poking.
Sorry I'll shut up now.

that's true

Not that I want to scare this girl but depends where you are at it does not matter wheather is day or night.
I seen them in bright day light in Mexico and my brother was stung TWICE at diferent times of course during the day and when that happened there was no rock/log poking.
Sorry I'll shut up now.
Yikes! You're scaring me now! :eek:
Apparently there are scorpions that don't know they're supposed to be nocturnal.

Stupid scorpions.

Now, if memory serves me correctly, doesn't costa rica have a lot of poisonous snakes and plant life too? Might just be something you look into and research before you go that way you can prepare properly. I've never been there, but I swear I was just watching some documentary about costa rica like a week or two ago and snakes really stood out in my mind for some reason.

There are pros and cons to looking up all the dangerous animals and plants ahead of time... Hey, I ate some sort of raisin off of a dirty patio in Africa once and survived. And there was also that adventure out in the elephant grass with just my husband after all the stories of poisonous snakes...

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Ya I was just thinking more for helping to help plan what you want to bring. If you're the worrier type like my wife though, looking up what's really there will make you worry so much you won't enjoy yourself. Me, I just like to be able to plan so that I have the right equipment with me so I'm not going, "Ugh this is miserable, I wish I would have brought x, y, z with me".

Ya I was just thinking more for helping to help plan what you want to bring. If you're the worrier type like my wife though, looking up what's really there will make you worry so much you won't enjoy yourself. Me, I just like to be able to plan so that I have the right equipment with me so I'm not going, "Ugh this is miserable, I wish I would have brought x, y, z with me".
I'm probably caught right in the middle of those two problems. Will err on the side of being prepared and terrified. :p

Reactions: NickW

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts