Peggy in Rural Nebraska

PeggyC

Barefooters
Sep 20, 2010
Hi, I'm Peggy. I'm stuck in western (rural, backward, behind-the-times) Nebraska currently but grew up all over the East Coast and Hawaii.

I've never been much of a shoe-wearer, but did spend enough time in poorly-fitting military shoes (starting at age 15) to have screwed up my feet bad enough to "need" a bunionectomy at age 22. That of course led to reduced range of motion in my left Big Toe, special orthotics, and Mizuno Wave Alchemy shoes since 2003. Personally, now, I truly believe that if the military offered or covered chiropractic care, a chiropractor could have fixed my toe and I wouldn't have needed surgery.

Wave Alchemy shoes have all the bells and whistles of a modern running shoe, stability, cushioning, and most importantly, it didn't let my toes bend AT ALL. That was key to being able to run without pain, until I got "permission" from Born To Run to start running barefoot.

Running barefoot for the last 5 months has been pain-free (until I stepped on a goathead thorn today!!!). I'm still not fast, but for once, my feet aren't what's holding me back. Now I just have to figure out what to wear to run in blizzards and I'll be good to go.

Welcome, Peggy! From your

Welcome, Peggy! From your signature it seems we have a little in common. I don't breastfeed or natural birth, I'm a bit biologically limited in those departments, but as I type this I have a snoring one year old on my back and I've just returned from lunch at the local fast food joint. ;) My wife's the crafty one though.

Hi Peggy, my sympathies for

Hi Peggy, my sympathies for being stuck in western Nebraska :(( Well on the bright side at least it is flat :))

Welcome to the group!

Hi Peggy!

Hi Peggy!

Hey Peggy. I run into

Hey Peggy. I run into goatheads everyonce in a while, but I've only ever found them in town, not out in the desert, which is odd. I guess they're some kind of native weed? I dunno. I basically just have to avoid scruffy looking yards and the sidewalks around them.

Danjo wrote:Hey Peggy. I run

Danjo said:
Hey Peggy. I run into goatheads everyonce in a while, but I've only ever found them in town, not out in the desert, which is odd. I guess they're some kind of native weed? I dunno. I basically just have to avoid scruffy looking yards and the sidewalks around them.

they are actually pretty cool how they grow. someone on another barefoot forum posted a wikipedia link and now I know what to look for. I had a massive plant of them growing right outside my front door!!!!! That went in the trash in a hurry before they could fully mature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

I remember these from growing

I remember these from growing up in Southern California. Not fun at all.

Wow, I'm glad we don't have

Wow, I'm glad we don't have them around here, they don't look fun at all.

Welcome Peggy!

I too Barefooting, Babywearing, Breastfeeding, Natural Birthing (wanted to do this, even took Bradley classes but life had other plans for me), Mom of 2 and Wife of 1. I like to cook and Square Foot Garden and am a terrible house keeper. I sew and get crafty when I have time. Just add on to the list reading, and decorating and you are now me!

Welcome! No breastfeeding

Welcome! No breastfeeding (long sad story) but babywearing, homebirthing, chicken-raising (no sun so no vegetable gardening), barefooting lady mama of three who hangs out with a fiber arts club but hasn't brought a project in at least 6 months.