Pavement condition of Boston Marathon course?

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by dano-oly, Jul 26, 2021.

1. dano-oly

dano-oly Barefooters

Planning this as my first BF marathon and am hoping someone can report on the current state of the roadways. I do most of my runs on fairly smooth pavement and don't think I would fare too well if there were too many well-worn sections (or, heaven forbid, chipseal.) Last reports I could find here on BRS seem to be from 10+ years ago. Looking at Google Street View (latest footage from 2019 and 2020) there appear to be a few areas around Ashland and the western portion of Beacon Street in the City that don't look great.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Perhaps you could message Theresa Withee to ask her. She completed it barefoot, the first female to do so.

https://www.thebarefootrunners.org/...man-to-run-boston-barefoot-an-interview.5648/

I don't know that a shoddie would be keen enough to pay attention to the surface. ;)

3. dano-oly

dano-oly Barefooters

Thanks, TJ! I note that in the article, she said, "The first half was on old tar roads... and some places had a lot of dirt still on the road from the winter, but otherwise, it was barefoot-friendly."

It'd be nice to get more info on the "old tar" sections....

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  4. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Maybe they've been repaired since. I think she's ran it more than that once.

5. dano-oly

dano-oly Barefooters

Thanks, TJ. Haven't heard back from Theresa yet. It's been about 10 years since she posted so not sure if she checks in here anymore.

Something tells me I'll need to check out the western portion of the course when I get into town. Will also start training on some rougher surfaces just in case.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  6. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Let us know what you find out. You're not the first to ask about the condition. :barefoot: