Participated in SNRC study (Cambridge, MA)

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by BFGD, Oct 25, 2018.

1. BFGD

BFGD
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Took part in a runners study this weekend, at Spaulding National Running Center in Cambridge, MA. 2 hour session of having 56 reflective balls attached and then running/walking on treadmill and running/walking in a room, both of which are surrounded by high speed cameras.

If you are in the area they would like to see you! Barefoot/minimalist runners are still pretty rare so your participation in the study would be a valuable contribution.

https://www.runsnrc.org/volunteer-for-research/

They provide a brief slow-motion video from the treadmill:

Barefoot TJ and mandytheartist like this.
  2. mandytheartist

mandytheartist
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Massachusetts

Should DEFINITELY try this!

3. BFGD

BFGD
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Agree! They were very flexible with scheduling and I went at 10:00 A.M. on a Sunday. Zero traffic.

mandytheartist likes this.
  4. mandytheartist

mandytheartist
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Massachusetts

Are they looking for unique demographics (like (still) nursing mothers)?

5. BFGD

BFGD
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

I think they are looking for ANYONE! "No questions asked" sort of thing. The day before I went I moved a large saw and the right-side of my back was *wicked* sore/tight; I didn't mention it, they didn't ask. Having thought about this a bit, and after reading about the study, it looks like they are simply trying to amass data for their own database. They are looking for 18-60 year old runners who run at least 10 miles/week with at least 50% of those miles being barefoot/minimal.

I half-expected an EKG....maybe some questions or something but all they cared about was meeting their criteria. When I go there, I just signed the papers (provided beforehand for me to review), they gave me a brief tour and started attaching the reflective balls. There is some conversation and questions about barefoot, but strictly conversation. Nobody is recording anything.

Go for it!

6. mandytheartist

mandytheartist
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Massachusetts

BFGD: I suspected that, but I'm happy to give them another piece of unique data. I'm sure there won't be many/any other nursing moms in the study. :D