Participants needed for study

Norma Coto

Barefooters
Jan 20, 2019
Virginia
Dear Barefoot Runners,

I’m looking for barefoot runners willing to participate in my research (and there’s a gift card in it for you!). I am a doctoral candidate at George Mason University (Fairfax, VA) researching in the growing field of the Rhetoric of Health and Medicine. I came to barefoot running through my chiropractor, and after over 30 years of shod running, I was shocked that I had never heard of barefoot running as a viable health practice, so I decided to dig deeper into our unique approach to running. My dissertation will help me understand how health practices grow out of social-historical context, how these health practices are sustained despite lying outside of a mainstream running community, and how they are meaningful for not only the runners themselves but also for the physicians who treat them. To help me with my research, you can do two things: 1. Like or react to this post, indicating you allow for your posts to be read, analyzed, and anonymously included in the study. Absolutely no names or private information will be included in the study. 2. Send a private message with your email or email me directly at [email protected], indicating that you are willing to be interviewed (60 minutes max)! The first 10 interviews will receive a 10 dollar Amazon gift card! Looking forward to working with this awesome community!

Thank you, Normi

Thank you to all who participated in my interviews and who reached out to support me. I completed the interviews last August (2020), so apologies if this post requesting participants is being recirculated. Not sure why. I'm now in the writing stage of the dissertation. The plan is to defend this fall and graduate in December. I've been running in minimalist shoes, and once the weather gets warmer, I'll begin barefoot running again. You winter challenge people amaze me! Stay safe and happy running (is there any other kind?)