Panel Discussion: Footwear Biomechanics

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
From Steven Sashen of Xero Shoes...

10 days ago, I (Steven) was on a panel discussion about footwear biomechanics at the American College of Sports Medicine's national convention. Sharing the stage were representatives from Adidas, Brooks, and Topo Athletic.

If you want to see something amazing, notice when the "Big Shoe" guys basically admit that, despite 50 years to do so, they've never produced any evidence that regular running shoes improve performance or reduce injury.

And a shout out to our friend, Harvard's Dr. Irene Davis, who posed the last question of the event and really drove home that Natural Movement is, in fact, the real deal.

Watch the video here.

PANEL DISCUSSION VIDEO: And if you're on Facebook, look at the comment thread in the original FB Live broadcast of the discussion and add your thoughts.

Reactions: bfsailor
My flight is delayed so I had some time to watch this video. I thought both Tony Post and Steven did a good job presenting alternatives to the motion control shoes. I was surprised that Tony was the first to state that there is no evidence showing motion control prevents injuries.

The discussion is very entertaining. You guys should really watch it.

Interesting that the Adidas guy seemed, I thought, to lose a bit of enthusiasm towards the end, and basically said that people will always want shoes so they'll just keep right on making them...
Not an awful lot of science going on there then...
At the end of the day I guess they're just a business trying to make money...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Barefoot TJ