Date Reviewed: 12/11/2011
Review Type: Trail
Barefoot Friendliness: 3 Average

Griffin Blvd Follow Griffin Blvd (off 98) all the way to the dead end
Panama City Beach, FL
See map: Google Maps

Intermediate to advanced barefooters.

All minimal shoe users.

This park has a number of trails that are paved, boardwalk, medium gravel (nice smooth gravel that I could walk or run on and I am a novice), dirt road, and pine mulch. It is a brand new park that was created to a.) restore an area that was formerly a St. Joe pulp pine plantation b.) create a waste water tertiary treatment area as an alternative to having a spray field so close to the West Bay. It is also a nice addition to the current Panama City Beach recreational trails and facilities. I've only explored it a bit by bike but I took a good hard look from a "barefooter" perspective and plan to explore more during warmer weather. Pay close attention to the trail maps. You can do anything from an easy 2ish mile loop to a strenuous 11 mile loop on a variety of surfaces. Bring your own water as there is no potable water beyond the visitor center. There seems to be a fair number of trash receptacles along the trails, but pack-in-pack-out isn't a bad motto. I am not sure about public safety access here. The park is very close to the fire and police stations but the outer loop trail doesn't seem to be too close to habitation, so be prepared to self-rescue if you hurt yourself. I can say I am pretty sure your mobile phone will work in this park. The park is open from dawn to dusk seven days a week. It would be a nice place for solitary workouts, running with leashed dogs, a group meet-up, or hiking and picnicing. There are bike racks in the parking area and what appears to be an outdoor shower for rinsing. No motorized vehicles or horses are allowed on the trails within the park. There is an amohitheatre and it seems they plan to offer environmental education programs here in the future. Please remember that this is Florida and there are venomous snakes, chiggers, fleas, ticks, sand spurs, fire ants, prickly pear, venomous spiders, Africanized honey bees, scorpions, alligators, sting rays, sharks, jellies, etc.

Check out the park maps: http://www.pcbgov.com/maps.htm

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test