Palmetto 200 - Tips?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by rpierce, Feb 27, 2011.

1. rpierce

rpierce Barefooters
    1. South Carolina

I'm doing the Palmetto 200 with 11 other runners. I'm fairly certain I'm the only one in my group who will beBF (or even minimalist) and I want to do well ... meaning I want to finish injury free, and Idon't want to give any naysayerfuel tomy shoddenrunning companions.

I am currently up to 7 miles on my long run but my average run is3-5 miles, depending on how much time I have. I'm a little worried about this eventbecause I generally take a day off between runs to give the tendons around my anklesa little rest (I'm struggling with what might be PTT or maybe it's just growing pains natural to BF runner only 3 months in). I will likely be running one of the shorter overall distances maybe a total of13 -14 miles divided between 3 legs. I have 40 days before this event and I'm looking foradvice.

Any tips on how to trainto run this event barefoot? Any recommendations on whatI should do between each legto recoop? Any tips on running style thatmaybe helpful? Depending on the pace of my fellow runners,Ishould have 9 to 11 hours offbetween eachleg.

2. ajmom

ajmom Barefooters
    1. South Carolina

I don't have enough experience to be giving good advice but I'd hate it if I had a question and no one responded. So I'll throw something out there.

I started having pains in the top of my feet when I increased my mileage too soon.

I'd stop the average 3-5 mile runs and work on the gradual build. Could you run 5 miles every other day this week, without flinching? Or are you more comfortable on the 3 miles end of that spectrum and just add a longer run here and there?

I was training for the half in Charleston but had several really cold weeks so I skipped too many runs. I ran my 8 mile long run in pain but thought my foot was just stretching out. I noticed they do that sometimes depending on what shoes I wore previously. Well, after the run I knew I was toast. The other foot started too and I had to rest them for a long time. I'm building back slowly.

This time around I'm running 2 miles every day then 2.5 then 3, (each for about a week or so) and keep building. I feel like my feet really need the miles logged. I won't go back to adding in the shorter runs for awhile. I'm not doing tempo runs or track workouts right now. Just slow, easy miles.

When I was looking for an answer to what was wrong, I searched the barefoot runners forum at Runners World. It was helpful. that's where I found this group.

Many of them have lots of experience. They might tell you everything I just said is dumb. I don't know.

(Oh and I started barefoot running over a year ago to rehab a knee problem. I worked up to 4 miles regularly then decided to try Vibrams because I figured I'm too chicken to do a half on a course I've never been to, barefoot. I'm not into racing. I just like to run but I want to do at least one half marathon just for the challenge. I've done some of the shorter stuff. It's not really my thing. However I will be doing the bridge run and I might do it completely bare. Uh, barefoot.)

Good luck.

3. rpierce

rpierce Barefooters
    1. South Carolina

Thanks for your reply - you've hit on something that I've been ignoring (on stubbornpurpose).

My patience level is constantly being tested with BF running as I want to run the distances that I used to be able to run. When I am see my shodden companions pass me by with their 10 mile long runs and I'm still on 2 or 3 in my minimalist footwear, I push myself to go farther than I should. That little voice is always there... you should stop, you are starting to feel a little pain ... oh one more lap, one more mile... I'll just do 4 today then stop...

I do experience some pain when running distances greater than 3 miles barefoot.However in minimalist footwear I'm OK to do 5 - 6before I start to feel the twinge, but then I pay for it later with swelling and tender anklesthat feel reallytight and make itdifficult to walkproperly when I first getout of bed in the morning.

Everything I've readfrom thegurus is that running bare allows you to be more in tune with your progress / pain levels and that's pretty evident by the fact that at 3 miles bare I'm in full acknowledgement that I should stop, but in my minimalist footwearI can go for another 3.... So that said, I think mMy plan going forwardshould betorunbarefoot all the time, thereby forcing myself to take it slow...

BTW - I'm no racer either, I just do the races toforce myself to stay in constant shape. My originalgoal (before going bare)was to always be able to run a half, soin my training Iwouldrun3-5 miles a few times a week and doa long run onthe weekend. Going bare has changed the pace ofthat goal, but at least my knees no longer hurt!

4. rpierce

rpierce Barefooters
    1. South Carolina

Update onthe Palmetto 200

I ran the P200 in shoes. I was a little disappointed to have to do that, but at least I was able to participate and on the plus side, I had my best recorded pace ever on two of the legs, then I went back to my norm on my third leg... but hey - I was wiped by then. I'm not sure why I'm being competitive about that... I think it's because I'm aging and I still want to show my younger counterparts that I'm able to keep up. I am 5 years older than the nextoldest runner on my team... and I am 20 years older than the youngest! Anyway - now that it's over and I've had some time off, I'm back to BF training and I'm starting fresh and completely barefoot.

As for bits aboutthe relay - it was awesome and what a great bonding experience. We had 2 vans each filled with 6 runners who each ran 3 legs of the race (a total of 36 legs). The race was just over 200 miles and the terrain was random... hills, flats, cotton fields, swamps and finallly the ocean. Two of my runs were in the hot afternoon sun and one took place around 3:00 AM. You would think it would be cool at 3:00 AM - but we had a hot weekend and it was very humid. The sky was so dark - especially where the pine trees rose up high into the sky. Sometimes I got a little extra light as one of the ultra runners ( or maybe itwas an eliterunner)passed me. Whoever it was - they were fast!