Pain Under First Metatarsal

barefoottyler

Barefooters
May 3, 2010
I have had some pain under my first metatarsal for the past couple of days. The only thing is, I only feel the pain when I apply pressure to that one area. The pain isn't overbearing, just uncomfortable. This happens when I am using my tennis ball under my foot to massage the muscles on the bottom of my foot. Sometimes when I run I feel it, but I can mostly avoid it since I land on my outside metatarsals. What could this possibly be? More importantly, how can I get it to go away?

I hope it's not a stress

I hope it's not a stress fracture. Just a reminder though... They don't show up on x-rays until after they've begun to heal for a while.

Hmm... Well I iced it for

Hmm... Well I iced it for about 20 minutes, then waited 10 minutes, then ran for a short distance. When I ran I did not feel any pain. I strongly focused on form and how my feet were landing. I guess all is good for the 5K tomorrow!

If it is a stress fracture is there anything I can do about it besides rest?

I know of no speedy way to

I know of no speedy way to heal a stress fracture. You just have to stay off your feet.

Good luck with the 5K!

there is no fast or easy way

there is no fast or easy way around a stress fracture but it does not sound like you have a stress fracture. stress fractures dont stop hurting. they are a constant pain and since you said you dont feel it all the time i think you should be ok.

as for the sesmoiditis, it could but the problem with something like that is it is a generic diagnosis. i have found this kind of diagnosis is generally given to the younger set because the bones and joints go through so many growing pains that it is hard to distinguish actual issues.

it sounds to me like you have a repetitive pressure injury like a bruise. you said you focused on your form and made sure your landings were good and you felt no pain. you also said the icing helped so that leads me to bruising as well. just be mindful of the issue when you're running and keep working on the form and i would expect that you'll be just fine

Awesome. This is relieving to

Awesome. This is relieving to hear. I remembered something while running today...

I read on barefoot ken bobs site to lift my does when I hit the ground. This is supposed to stop me from scuffing my toes. Well, I did this when I noticed scuffing the other day. The only problem is, I may have over-done it and lifted my toe straight up, pushing the bone out from under my foot, thus slamming that bone into the ground. That's why the pain is only noticable when I hunt for it with my ball or run with my toes up. Sounds fair enough.

Tyler, are you going to Ken

Tyler, are you going to Ken Bob's workshop in Peachtree City on the 31st of May (6:30 p.m.)? If so, perhaps you could ask him about this and ask him to demonstrate it.

i think you could very right

i think you could very right tyler. just as you can over exaggerate running on the toes you can over do the toe lift. it should be subtle and kind of unnoticeable. watch some videos of ken, ted, jason, and just about any other barefoot runner on you tube and you'll see what i mean. the big toe will raise up just a little on the down stroke but there's no tension in the foot

Congrats!  Awesome!

Congrats! Awesome!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test