Pain outside foot/below ankle

reverbrcc

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Hi everyone!

I've been running in Vibrams for a few months now and feeling great! I stepped up my long run by about a mile, but I hit some rough sugar sand on a new trail (common occurrence in Florida). I have a sore spot just below my ankle on the outside of my foot. It is above my heel, it feels like I could have overworked or pulled a small muscle there. My ankle is fine, and so is my heel and Achilles tendon. Has anyone felt this before? Any suggestions besides the RICE method?

Thanks,

Rob

Reactions: OdiarAmor
I had that last fall. I

I had that last fall. I googled and googled and could never really figure out what it was called. I got mine after landing awkwardly on some soft grassy ground. My experience is that it healed fairly slowly, but being a mom I spent far too much time running around on my feet doing mom things.

Sounds like overworked

Sounds like overworked ankle/foot muscles from the awkward surface, your ankles and supporting muscles trying to balance properly. Trail running can do this sometimes also from all the unleveled angles etc. Running barefoot has helped me this a lot but it took a while to build up the foot / ankle strength and once in a while I get sore ankles still from really tough trail runs.

I usually just lay off the unstable type surface for a few runs as needed for the soreness to clear up, the smooth level pavement runs kind of have a healing effect for me for stuff like that.