Pain in between second and big toe -- tendon perhaps, not sensitive to touch

oscarafone

Barefooters
Mar 2, 2016
Hi guys, I guess my first post is going to be one for the doctors here. I've been barefoot lifestyle-ing for about two months, going barefoot most of the time.

I have a pain in an unclear location underneath one of my feet. It seems like it might be right between my second and big toes. The pain first started after a long, maybe 5 or 6 mile walk in my VFFs. (I usually go barefoot, and I don't run.) I had done an 8 mile hike in them before with no problems.

The pain feels like it might be related to the movement of a tendon, but I can't be sure. When I take a step and start with my heel, it hurts a lot, and it's almost as if I feel a tug on my second toe. If I walk on my tippie-toes it doesn't hurt. If I press, squeeze, or stretch my foot it doesn't hurt. There's no swelling.

Once I did experience some tingling on one half of the second toe and the opposing half of the big toe, but it went away after a few minutes.

This happened five days ago and things haven't improved. Nowadays I'm walking around in bare feet but the symptoms are still there. They get worse with the VFFs.

I've looked at capsulitis (no pain in ball of foot, no swelling) and Morton's neuroma (but squeezing doesn't hurt, none of the parts I checked in my foot are tender), but no dice. Any other ideas or similar experiences?

It's my left foot. Maybe you can see something in the photos below.

o5GQMqP.jpg

nS2s7wX.jpg

Last edited:
Two things come to mind, Tight tibialis posterior/hallicus longus. If these tendons are scarred up and the muscle is tight and short, you will lose flexibility in the first toe and are likely hitting the ground hard on the forefoot.

The result is often a neuroma. If you have a genetically short first toe, you are more likely to bear weight on the second and third toes which will also cause a neuroma called a mortons neuroma, as the short toe is called a mortons toe.

One way to get relief is using a foot orthotic and placing a cushion that pushes the anterior arch up. Usually the pain or twinging is caused by the first and second bones rubbing and impinging the nerve between them.

A bunyon will amplify this effect.

A good chiropractor may also help through soft tissue manipulation of the muscles I mentioned earlier and manipulation of the joints of the foot.

There may also be core issues causing you to under and over stride as well. You can see, there are many possibilities here.

Hope that helps.

It is very difficult to tell from your description. As a matter of principal, we don't make a diagnosis over the Web.
We feel that we really need to make a full evaluation taking into account a full history and a clinical evaluation. In every case, we do an ultrasound. In cases of Morton's neuroma, we always do a diagnostic injection to confirm the diagnosis. In cases where we think that it may be another diagnosis but we are uncertain, we do an MRI.
The most important thing is to be evaluated by a clinician who has a lot of experience. I hope this is helpful.
Good luck,
-Mark.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Thanks. I don't think it's Morton's Neuroma, at least from looking on the web. Nothing hurts to the touch. And not with a pinch, squeeze, or pull either. Just when I rock from heel to toe. Now, it seems, it's bilateral. I wonder if it has something to do with just muscle tightness.

As far as scarred tendons, I don't know how that could be. I'm only 26 and my feet seem to be in okay shape.

I have no clue what it could be. I'm staying in today and taking it easy, and hoping that it will go away by next week. If not I plan to see a doctor.