PA Introductions

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by NakedSoleNate, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Welcome, Megan!

Welcome, Megan!

2. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Welcome Liz and Megan.  I

Welcome Liz and Megan. I think Avondale is a little closer to my stomping ground. If you're ever looking for a run around Valley Forge Park, let me know, Liz. York Springs...I don't know. It's out yonder. Good running to you both.

3. CaveWoman

CaveWoman Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Hi my name is Megan. I am

Hi my name is Megan. I am from Mechanicsburg but now live in York Springs. I was a swimmer through my school years, then switched to running two years ago. I have been running barefoot and minimalist for a little over a year. I am running the Gettysburg marathon in huaraches. Right now I work in middle management at a grocery store in Mechanicsburg but one day hope to land a career in the outdoors or fitness.

4. Lizc0002

Lizc0002 Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Megan, welcome!  Good luck

Megan, welcome! Good luck with the marathon, let us know how it goes!

Joseph, I would love a run in VF, my old stomping grounds. I think you had a run there not long ago but I had birthday parties all that Saturday. I need to give it another month or so though and I am only going short distances right now while I adjust to barefooting it, but by then the weather should be pretty and spring like (right now I am only running 1.50 miles, may aim for 1.75 today depending on how the tootsies feel)

Liz

5. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Liz, I'm in the same stage

Liz, I'm in the same stage with BFing. I have been transitioning out of VFFs for winter protection and am up to about 1.5 miles on pavement BF. I've then been putting the Bikilas back on to finish my 5 - 6 mile runs. Valley Forge is right around the corner from me (in Audubon).

Run well!

6. Lizc0002

Lizc0002 Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Joseph, that' perfect then. 

Joseph, that' perfect then. Let's try and get a run together at Valley Forge, maybe a Saturday aftenoon? I just figure everyone else is running way further than I am. I hope the paths are less rocky than the park I ran in today. I checked out a local park that has paved paths and it was horribly covered in small stones (not like running on stones where your feet know to expect them) just random tiny rocks every where, YUCK had to put my Sprint on several time to give my feet some relief, but I did do 1.75 all together so my longest barefoot/minimal shoes run yet. I hope my feet get to the point where tiny stones don't bother me because I prefer to not put the Sprints on.

Liz

7. bfozzy

bfozzy Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Hey everyone, My name is

Hey everyone,

My name is Bob and I live near the small town of Emlenton (about 20 miles east of I-79 just north of I-80) on the Allegheny River.

I started BF hiking with my dogs on some of the forest trails about 7 years ago. About 6 years ago while shod running I aquired Plantar Fasciitus and some knee issues. This brought me to the logical solution of BF Running. I have been BF Running for 5 wonderful years now.

I typically run 15 to 20 miles a week...did about 800 bf miles last year and a 1/2 Marathon at a race on Presque Isle (Lake Erie).

I am planning a few 1/2 marathons this year and possibly a trail race in Oil Creek State Park. They have a 100M. 50M and 50K....I am going for the 50K (31miles).

Personally I love trail running and do not do much at all on the streets. Usually I am in the forest or on the paved Rails to Trails along the Allegheny River.

I have also been a member of Barefoot Rick Roeber's Yahoo Group reporting weekly mileage with the group for about 4 years now. Rick has been an inspiration to say the least and a great mentot in BF Running.

A pleasure to be on board with you all,

Bob

8. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Welcome, Bob!  Glad you're

Welcome, Bob! Glad you're here.

9. NakedSoleNate

NakedSoleNate Barefooters
    1. Colorado
    2. Pennsylvania

Hey Megan, I'm in

Hey Megan, I'm in Carlisle...I'll be doing gettysburg too, bare :)....unless it's chip seal (I plan on getting out on the course this month to check it out)....if it's chip seal, I might have to put on the VFFs for the last 10 miles.....

Welcome to everyone "newish" :)...great to have you here!

Nate

10. Lizc0002

Lizc0002 Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Welcome Bob, sounds like you

Welcome Bob, sounds like you have ideal places to run! So I have turned to BFR due to PF and knee issues as well but have been battling the PF after wearing orthotics for 6 years. Glad tohear BF (I assume) helped you with both , it is encouraging!

Liz

11. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Liz, i think my email is on

Liz, i think my email is on my profile page. Feel free to start the process of homing in on a run date. With 3 little kids and other relational complications it won't be simple, but I'm confident we can figure a way to get out on the trails. Your choice, paved trail or au natural. We have them both right close here.

12. CaveWoman

CaveWoman Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Hey Nate let me know how it

Hey Nate let me know how it is. I will have to find a way to attach the ship to my sandals if so.

13. NakedSoleNate

NakedSoleNate Barefooters
    1. Colorado
    2. Pennsylvania

Meghan, do you want to do

Meghan, do you want to do half of it with me one sunday? Most of mine are free, let me know!!

14. bfozzy

bfozzy Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Liz,The PF took about 6

Liz,

The PF took about 6 months to heal up 1st before embarking on BF running. I started with BF hiking and progressed back to running. Have had absolutely no PF issues in over 6 years and much stronger feet and ankles...and much reduced knee issues.

Having a great online group with Barefoot Rick (Roeber) has been a great inspiration and support along the way. I hope this forum only expands the horizons a bit more.

BF Bob

15. Lizc0002

Lizc0002 Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Bob,Good to hear encouraging

Bob,

Good to hear encouraging stories of healed PF, I am so conditoned by doctor's over the years that whenever it is flaring the seed of doubt creeps in (and the "there must be something wrong w my feet I must need orthotics thought patternt that accompanies it) I know I am probably better off resting, but I took considerable time off due to knee issue so I am not willing to rest anymore. I am limiting myself however to 2 miles 2 times per week until my feet are stronger and the PF goes away.

We are trying to organize a run in Valley Forge park once it is warmer out, are you anywhere near? (sorry I forget where you are from)

Also to PA group, does anyone know of a good BFR coach? Or at least a running coach who is supportive of BFR?

Liz

16. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Liz, et al,I had a lovely

Liz, et al,

I had a lovely run with the Valley Forge Striders (or maybe Fastrack - I forget who's which) this morning at Valley Forge Park. Actually, it started over in Betzwood Park, which is on the north side of the Schuylkill across the bridge from the main body of VF park, and we ran down the Schuylkill River Trail toward Norristown.

Maybe we BFers could show up en masse for one of their Sat. AM runs and tag along. We can run as far or short as we like, which is about how they do it. Their leaders usually go longer and others turn around where they feel like and all finish the same place, back at the parking lot.

There's no hurry about this meetup, if you want to get your milage up a bit. I'm perfectly happy however we come up with.

One thing cool about this morning's run was that I saw 2 VFF clad runners on the trail. A minimalist stampede. I never have seen anyone else BF.

17. Lizc0002

Lizc0002 Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Joseph, That would be fun,

Joseph,

That would be fun, my only issue would be start time. I am in Avondale so at least 45-1 hour away from VF. I have 3 small kids that I would have to find sitter for and my parents probably would not want tobe up to watch them at the crack of dawn. What time do the runs start? I think Betzwood is the one that runs up the side of VF mountain right? Gosh I miss that place. On another topic, I am also planning to meet up with a group of barefoot hikers once it is warmer at Ridley Creek Park for a barefoot hike. I will let you all know a date/time once I have it planned.

Liz

18. CaveWoman

CaveWoman Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

That would be great, we

That would be great, we should get a group of people together to run half the course. Do you know anyone else in the area that is running it barefoot or not? I do my long runs on sundays but wont be getting back down to 13 miles untill I start my taper april 17th.

19. Barefoot Joe

Barefoot Joe Barefooters
    1. California...
    2. Pennsylvania

Hi everyone!! I have just

Hi everyone!!

I have just barely joined. I hail from Pittsburgh, PA and I am a full-time student at Pitt. My interests are Mathematics-Economics and Arabic. I grew up running barefoot in Tartus, Syria, but after years of being shod here, I started having all kinds of problems recently, so I ditched my shoes and started running barefoot again around my block and Schenly Park. I also play soccer barefoot all the time at the school field, while everyone stares at me as I tirelessly dribble the ball around the field while they pant and tell me to put some socks on or something.. I also do water aerobics 3 times a week to heel up all the damage that shoes have done. I feel much better now than a semester ago, but I still have some ways to go.. Did I mention that I play basketball barefooted too? Well, I own kids at the local school gym while they are amazed at my ability to jump and land barefooted on the decked floor. I tell them the truth, but they don't want to believe me. I understand why, as I am the only one without shoes. So I hope to add some numbers to my clan, because Power comes in Numbers.

Thanks,

Joe

20. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Welcome, Joe!

Welcome, Joe!