PA Introductions

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by NakedSoleNate, Sep 8, 2010.

1. NakedSoleNate

NakedSoleNate Barefooters
    1. Colorado
    2. Pennsylvania

Hey Everyone in the PA chapter...

As our society increases in number, it will become more difficult to get to know everyone on a more personal level...so, here I am starting an introduction of all PA members...let us know a little about yourself, whatever you want us to know (doesn't have to all be running related)

I'll go first, only fair :)

My name is Nate, I live just north of Carlisle, PA. I teach a form of Chinese martial arts (Kung Fu) called (in English, we have our style name which is in Mandarin) New Philosophy (School) White Dragon Fist Method. I also teach yoga at my own studio. I am not new to barefooting, although, I am new to running on a regular basis for FUN...I used to run soley as a support to my other sports, but since discovering the concept of barefoot running, I have fallen in love with running for running's sake. I've never used minimalist shoes, but am not opposed to it if needed....just haven't needed to yet.

Since beginning running bare last April-ish...I've also adopted a full 24/7 barefoot lifestyle, that I am finding incredibly rewarding. Even the few confrontations I've received in stores.

I've yet to run in any "event" preferring really to go on my own, but next year I plan on doing several...starting with the Hyner Challenge, a 25k trail run with 4000 feet of elevation gains....I plan on doing it barefoot of course. I would very much like to run ultras (my goal is 2012 for those, in celebration of my 4th decade :).

I look forward to getting to know each of you, and more forward to eventually meeting you!

Namaste,

Nate

2. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

I'm happy to make your

I'm happy to make your equaintance! Joseph

3. nethead

nethead Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Hi Guys. Thought I'd

Hi Guys. Thought I'd introduce myself I joined a few months ago but haven't gotten around to posting yet.

My name is Annette and I'm an English woman and I've been living in Camp Hill PA for 5 years.

I'm new to running (Beginning of June) as well as to BF. I switched to barefoot very soon after beginning running (mostly 'cause Nate nagged me so much ;)) but recently bought some Bikilas as the acorns in my neighbourhood were killing me. Have to say I'm loving them.

I am trying to take it slow as I experienced some TOFP, and on my last run pulled/cramped calf muscle, but it's horribly frustrating when all you want to do is run.

Annette

4. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Welcome, Annette!  I think

Welcome, Annette! I think you're in metro Harrisburg. You should have some BF or Minimalist company thereabouts.

Be careful out there!

Joseph

5. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Welcome, Annette!

Welcome, Annette!

6. bfaubrey

bfaubrey Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Hello everyone, My name is

Hello everyone, My name is Aubrey and I am in Hermitage, Pa. Was born in the Bloomsburg area, that's where my family is. I started barefoot running last January, due to knee pain and desperation to continue running. Went from 35-40 mile weeks to starting all over, best thing I ever did! Though not 100 percent bf yet, I have done all my running this past year in barefeet, or minimal shoes. I did the Punxy 50k in NB 790's, wish I would have done it in vff's and barefeet. Longest BF run is 7 miles on roads so far. I know I can finally say that the only time my body doesn't hurt is when I run barefoot, not surprising though. I'm loving it. I've been checking out this site for some time, my wife finally got me situated so I can participate, looking forward to getting to know everyone. Thanks,

Aubrey

7. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Welcome Aubrey! 

Welcome Aubrey!

8. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Sounds like you are well on

Sounds like you are well on your way, Aubrey! Welcome!

9. NakedSoleNate

1. Colorado
    2. Pennsylvania

Glad you are here!!

Glad you are here!!

10. jschwab

jschwab Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Welcome! I have a little

Welcome! I have a little shrine to 790's in my bathroom shoe rack. I love those shoes, although I would not wear them now due to being more minimalist.

11. BFNikki

BFNikki Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Good Afternoon folks! I am a

Good Afternoon folks! I am a new minimalist runner. I started in the beginning of Nov end of October. I read "Born to Run" and decided that I needed to go for a change.

I am from the Pittsburgh area, born and raised! True y'inzer at heart[​IMG]

My first bf race will be Just a Short Run Half marathon and I am running Pittsburgh bf!

Nice to "meet" everyone!

12. JosephTree

JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh...that's out

Pittsburgh...that's out toward the Mississippi somewhere, no? Welcome, anyway, Nikki!

13. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Welcome, Nikki!

Welcome, Nikki!

14. NakedSoleNate

1. Colorado
    2. Pennsylvania

welcome Nikki!!  I was

welcome Nikki!! I was planning on doing Pitt too...but the timing won't work out :-(...going to do the gettysburg N/S marathon in May instead :).

Great to have you here!!

15. anamericanflyboy

anamericanflyboy Barefooters

Hi all, Matt here (or Ike, as

Hi all, Matt here (or Ike, as most call me)

Not new to running since I am in the Air Force, but am new to BF (minimalist). I hail from Pittsburgh, PA but grew up in Montana, and now live in New Castle, PA.

Nice to meet you all!

Ike

16. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Another Pilot!  That makes

Another Pilot! That makes about five I can think of now.

Welcome, Ike!

17. anamericanflyboy

Barefoot TJ wrote:Another

Thanks! Not a pilot though...Work in Human Resources. Certainly not as glamorous! LOL!

18. Barefoot TJ

1. Nomad

Oops!  HR is good stuff too!

Oops! HR is good stuff too!

19. Lizc0002

Lizc0002 Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania

Hi I'm Liz (obviously LOL)  I

Hi I'm Liz (obviously LOL) I live in Avondale PA. Started BFR in January due to major injury frustration and a brilliant flash of insight when I attriubuted my knee injuries to worn out orthotics and all of the sudden had to stop the insanity since I have probably spent at least 1,000.00 on the darn thing yet was always constantly battling PF off and on for the past 6 years. Am currently transitioning out of them. Doing well most days don't need them at all and am also pursuing a barefoot lifestyle. Am only running about 1.50 2 x per week, but am building my strength slowly.

I have 3 children, a daughter 6, and two sons 3 and 1 1/2 (life is crazy but good) I love to run, practice yoga, read and garden (although with my 3 I really don't get to spend any time doing this currently) I also love dogs and have a lab, a lab border collie, a cat, 3 hermit crabs and a fish and anything else I can sneak in under my husbands nose (HA guess I should change that to I love animals)

Ultimate goal is to run a marathon. I did the Philly 1/2 marathon this past November and LOVED IT! Realize it is not in the cards this year but want to tr and get a few 5ks in

Liz

20. anamericanflyboy

Hi Liz!  Welcome!

Hi Liz! Welcome!