OUCH

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by TMo, Jan 22, 2013.

1. TMo

TMo Barefooters
    1. Georgia

So I have been feeling pretty good. Getting 3-4 miles in on consecutive days, then take a break an get 2 more days. Always left me a little sore but doable. After 4 days rest from BF (road bike) I went to Mt. Tabor Park in PAulding county GA. The blue trail was no problem, but when I got to "The Rocks of Doom" trail I ended up having to walk most of it. sheesh those rocks killed my feet. I have no abrasions, but my pads feel awfully bruised. Input?

2. bogrist

bogrist Barefooters
    1. Georgia

How frequently do you run trails?

I have run exclusively barefoot for about 1.5 years now but have only run trails about 10 times...all other mileage is on the road. The trails are surprisingly comfortable but there are simply not a lot convenient to me so I have far less experience on trails.

My feet have felt sort of bruised on occasion after a long run or after stepping on a particularly nasty rock. I simply back off the next day if I press the bottom of my feet and they are materially sore. The pain has never been so bad that I had to miss a day, but I have reduced mileage once or twice to remain conservative.

My recommendation is "press and assess". If they are sore...run lightly on a smooth surface and focus on your form...posture and cadence.

Cheers,

Shoeless Bo

3. TMo

TMo Barefooters
    1. Georgia

I try to run a trail once a week. I like the conditioning the hills and direction changed give me. I also like the focus it takes to concentrate on your foot falls. That said, the rocks of doom are the most challenging of the trails available to me. The other ones are far easier even that roads. I guess I read of people running on all surfaces, and it almost seems like an impossibility to me especially after yesterday. Wondering if I am doing something wrong over the hard rocks. Even the MOnkey jog did not help. I can walk them with no problem though.

4. bogrist

bogrist Barefooters
    1. Georgia

I used to run trails quite a bit and raced several ultras back in my shod and injured days. It is really exhilarating.

I expect that you are in the minority of barefooters if you are running trails truly barefoot. I would bet a dollar that most "barefoot" trail runners are using some type of minimalist shoe. I did about 3 miles over a very rocky trail in Golden, CO over Thanksgiving and had no issues at all, but I expect that turning that into 5-6 miles may have been a bit much for me. Keep trying and let the group know if you find some secrets!

Thanks for posting,

Bo

5. TMo

TMo Barefooters
    1. Georgia

So I ran 3.5 yesterday even though my pads felt bruised. Probably a mistake, but I did it intentionally to experiment. Needless to say the run was lousy at first, better in the middle, and lousy at the end. My feet were tremendously sore, and I kept dipping into the grass every chance I got. It was below 44 degrees, but that did not seem to abate the pain at all.

So what, you may ask, is the upside of this story? My feet were so sore I had to focus on my form to keep running. I have had issues with the outside ball of my feet just behind the pinkie toe getting or feeling abraded, and last night I found a slight shift in my weight alleviated any discomfort in those areas. I think I was either twisting or letting my weight fall to the outside of my foot. I have a natural suppination and am bow-legged so I think my sore pads helped me fix something that has bothered me for a while. No soreness from abrasion at all this morning, though my pads are uber bruised. I'll be biking today and tomorrow. :\

Sid likes this.