OUCH..... hmmm

Wideguy

Barefooters
Mar 14, 2011
SE Massachusetts, USA
So after 6 months mostly idle, this week I've gotten back out, slowly. Last night was the third run this week. Only did 1.5 miles, but it was finally warm enough to do it all barefoot ( instead of my VFF's )
I was ready to extend it, was feeling really good. Then I felt it in my left calf. Small twinge, growing into an ache... and this morning I can barely walk on it...

Few days of stretching and ice, roller, ...should be OK.

But I remembered I did this last year, and when I first started ... making me wonder what I do differently on my left leg that makes me so much more prone to pulling it than my right. It's always the left calf.

Whatever you do, if it's pulled don't stretch it. It'll only make it worse.

Reactions: jldeleon
I think we're all a little bent on one side vs. the other. My left leg is a bit longer than the right and creates quite a few challenges.

I remember that pain when I first started. It passed but I had to take a day or two off.
Yeah, like I said, now that I think about it I remember I get this same pull/strain, same leg, every time I start "back"... But on the upside I know it's just a muscle pull and not splints, or PF or knee problems. I'll take a simple sore muscle any day. Just kind of feels like I am working. :cool:

Edit: and no stretching... OK... good thought. Good since I haven't actually done any yet, so maybe I won't. LOL

Now THAT would be a hybrid runner! ;)

If you have different length legs you could compensate with one BF and the other in this!!!
:eek:
<snip>
OK... I know i drank the BF Kool Aid already...but even if I hadn't I'd still look at all this and be wary
First, it employs a maximum motion control Impact Guidance Control...
DuoMax Support System...
gender-specific Space Trusstic fit...
Solyte midsole...
SpEVA cushioning.
Really? I mean... it's a shoe, right? Not a space ship or moon boot or skydiving harness.

Hysterical. Someone put out a tee shirt or page or something that had all these "new-age tech terms for shoes. When you see it all together like that, it really says a lot about how screwed up we are in believing that BS. Even that little tidbit there bothers me. I think I will start a thread about this very thing. You guys add your space-age BS labels to it there. They have to be legitimate though, exactly what the shoe makers have in print somewhere. We'll see what we can come up with.

It is true, we all have imbalances.

And the majority of people have the same "bad" side cuz it has something to do with most people being right handed, because you twist more to one side than the other, doing various activities. Like when you are writing with your right hand, your spine is always twisted counter-clockwise. Likewise, you tend to kick balls, etc. on the same side as your dominant hand, which adds to the twist.

You can offset some of this by purposefully doing things with your non-dominant side. Like during trail running, I have had to teach myself to step into the middle of mud puddles with my left foot first, just as often as my right foot. Same with going over a hill, jumping over potholes, kicking balls, etc.

Also, I do what I guess you would call "counterbalancing" exercises where I do about 5-10 more exercises on one side, than the other, to help get the twist going the other way. For example, my hips twist vertically, counterclockwise, and my ND told me that if I do more hamstring exercises on my left side, and more quad exercises on my right side, it will help twist my hips clockwise. If definitely helps!

Reactions: rbondi

Also, I do what I guess you would call "counterbalancing" exercises where I do about 5-10 more exercises on one side, than the other, to help get the twist going the other way. For example, my hips twist vertically, counterclockwise, and my ND told me that if I do more hamstring exercises on my left side, and more quad exercises on my right side, it will help twist my hips clockwise. If definitely helps!

I'll have to give that a shot. sounds pretty smart.

I would do this lightly however. I know that working a ham or quad too much more than the its complimenting muscle can lead to other injuries. I bet you would have to do quite a bit more lifting however. I just keep thinkin of those football players or sprinters who have massive quads that are not always supported by nice hammys and it can lead to some nasty consiquences.
but...I bet a little re-balancing would not hurt anything. =)

And the majority of people have the same "bad" side cuz it has something to do with most people being right handed, because you twist more to one side than the other, doing various activities. Like when you are writing with your right hand, your spine is always twisted counter-clockwise. Likewise, you tend to kick balls, etc. on the same side as your dominant hand, which adds to the twist.

You can offset some of this by purposefully doing things with your non-dominant side. Like during trail running, I have had to teach myself to step into the middle of mud puddles with my left foot first, just as often as my right foot. Same with going over a hill, jumping over potholes, kicking balls, etc.

I used to play raquetball left handed and tennis right handed. Don't do either any more. Great ideas Jen.

I think I have an imbalance from driving a stick all my life. The clutch leg seems heavier when I run.

I would do this lightly however. I know that working a ham or quad too much more than the its complimenting muscle can lead to other injuries. I bet you would have to do quite a bit more lifting however. I just keep thinkin of those football players or sprinters who have massive quads that are not always supported by nice hammys and it can lead to some nasty consiquences.
but...I bet a little re-balancing would not hurt anything. =)

Yes, lightly, for sure. My docs says from 5 to 10 reps extra on each side for those exercises. But it also depends on how many reps you are doing in the first place. So, for me, I am usually doing 30 reps on both sides, plus an extra 5-10 for the balancing exercises.

I used to play raquetball left handed and tennis right handed. Don't do either any more. Great ideas Jen.

I think I have an imbalance from driving a stick all my life. The clutch leg seems heavier when I run.

OMG the STICK FROM HELL! I keep telling my running buddy he needs to get rid of his damn stick (his car that is). :) I had the worst hip problems from my stick and once I got rid of that thing my hips were distinctly better!

OMG the STICK FROM HELL! I keep telling my running buddy he needs to get rid of his damn stick (his car that is). :) I had the worst hip problems from my stick and once I got rid of that thing my hips were distinctly better!

Hmmm I drive a stick and my hip problem is only on the Gas pedal side. Wonder if that's saying something? :cool:

Hmmm I drive a stick and my hip problem is only on the Gas pedal side. Wonder if that's saying something? :cool:
The body is tricky, the side that has the pain is not necessarily the side that is causing the problem. My bad hip is my left hip, but it is actually caused from my right hip. Doing a certain stretch for my right hip will alleviate all the strange tension and pain in my right hip. I learned all about this from my last PT. Very useful information.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts