Optimal running weight?

skedaddle

Barefooters
Sep 3, 2011
Just curious are there any reliable formulae to working out optimal running or racing weight?
I've always used BMI to keep an eye on my weight, and er on the lower side of healthy, but that isn't running related and my not be the best indicator for an optimal weight.
What do you folks do to set a ball park figure?

Big boned or small boned? Tall or short? All of the top distance runners are short, skinny, small boned, and have long legs relative to their trunks. So I'd do that. ;)

Wouldn't folk with the perfect body type still have a target weight for their chosen activity?
Sometimes tangible numbers can be a helpful instead of having everything floating about in the ether, I was just looking for something with a little science behind it that I could fill an empty space in my understanding.

Just found this.

By Frank Horwill
Most coaches use the Stillman height/weight ratio table for distance runners. The average man is allocated 110 lbs (50kg) for the first 5 feet (1.524m) in height. Thereafter, he is allocated 5½ lbs (2.495 kg) for every additional inch (O.025m) in height.

Thus, a man 6 feet tall (1.829m) would be allocated 110lbs (50kg) plus 12 x 5½lbs (2.495kg), which comes to 176 lbs or 12 st 8lbs (80kg). The exceptions to the rule are Japanese wrestlers, heavyweight boxers and certain rugby players, who aim to exceed this weight. Females are allocated 100 lbs (45kg) for the first 5 feet (1.524m) and 5lbs (2.268kg) for every inch thereafter. Therefore a woman who is 5 ft 6ins (1.676m) tall would be given 100 lbs plus 6 x 5lbs, which totals 130 lbs or 9st.4lbs (59kg).

These allocations are considered healthy guidelines for non-active people. However, a distance runner needs to weigh less, about 5 to 10 per cent less. This makes our 6 foot tall male requiring to be 8 to 17 lbs less than his 1761bs, around 168lbs to 159 lbs. And our female of 5ft 6ins should be around 6 lbs to 13lbs less, around 124 lbs to 117 lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: mandytheartist
I decided to give up weighing myself a few years ago and just go with how I felt and what my husband likes. I was too concerned with exact weight. I am much happier and my running is constantly improving. FWIW.

Most of the studies I read today give quite a large range of target weights to work within, so nothing inflexible, definitive or even questionably useful beyond a goal. Much like a PR I suppose, meaningless to anyone but the individual.
I don't think it does any harm to enquire though, my intuitive weight seems perfectly fine, i just have a curious mind that likes to explore different aspects of running.
I could see how the issue of weight could become obsessive though, some of the pro athletes you see these days look dangerously thin, not good.
Glad to here you are enjoying your running Songbird and getting results.

Reactions: happysongbird
These allocations are considered healthy guidelines for non-active people. However, a distance runner needs to weigh less, about 5 to 10 per cent less. This makes our 6 foot tall male requiring to be 8 to 17 lbs less than his 1761bs, around 168lbs to 159 lbs.

That sounds awful heavy for a six footer. I'd guess 140 ...

I suppose the emphasis is on maximum performance for a 'healthy weight', I think that's and important distinction.

If you're not willing to sacrifice your health to win, you're probably not going to win. ;) That said, the lowest healthy weight will result in the fastest times in distance events.

If you're not willing to sacrifice your health to win, you're probably not going to win. ;) That said, the lowest healthy weight will result in the fastest times in distance events.

Ha, ha, but there are many ways to win, not just crossing the line first.;)

Personally I just want to give myself the best shot at doing what I love well into my old age. Running barefoot is part of the master plan, but i've also got the rest of my body to think about.

We really must stop winking like this ;)

Reactions: Frizzer and Tedlet
The formula works perfectly for me at my very fastest...in 1984. Then I was at 156 pounds and 5' 9".

These days my perfect weight is alway about 10 pounds less than wherever I am.

My strategy is much akin to HappySongBird's. The only thing worse to think about than weight is politics.

Well since it doesn't look like this is going to die I may as well weigh in (I'm so sorry I promise I'm not making a pun I just talk this way XD) on it. Even though I'm using running to lose a bit of the extra weight I (we're talking like ten to fifteen pounds, I'm still pretty small) accrued over the last three years or so while I was super inactive, I don't actually pay attention to my weight. I look in the mirror, and if I see that I look healthy, or that I at least look healthier, I'm happy with it. I realize that I'm much younger than many of the people here, so my perspective is likely more carefree, but I honestly don't understand why the actual weight value would be important. What should matter is your nutrition and the strength of your muscles when it comes to running. The weight will follow naturally from there.

Well since it doesn't look like this is going to die I may as well weigh in (I'm so sorry I promise I'm not making a pun I just talk this way XD) on it. Even though I'm using running to lose a bit of the extra weight I (we're talking like ten to fifteen pounds, I'm still pretty small) accrued over the last three years or so while I was super inactive, I don't actually pay attention to my weight. I look in the mirror, and if I see that I look healthy, or that I at least look healthier, I'm happy with it. I realize that I'm much younger than many of the people here, so my perspective is likely more carefree, but I honestly don't understand why the actual weight value would be important. What should matter is your nutrition and the strength of your muscles when it comes to running. The weight will follow naturally from there.

Many things change as you get older beyond getting really bushy eyebrows:oldman: but strangely the way you view yourself doesn't.
Recovery times get longer, collagen goes, bones start to rattle, heart rate and pace slowly decouple.

I just see weight as being a pivotal issue in reducing stresses and keeping me active and engaged with my passion. I may be wrong, but it seems to make sense to me.

I'm normally quite quick with humour, Mikes post didn't make it past my dyslexia:confused: Sorry Mike, there just seemed to be so much casual resistance to my initial enquiry and I couldn't understand why.

No need to tread on eggshells around me Wanderer, pun away, I give as good as I get.:mooning: