One week in!

Giddyup

Barefooters
Sep 28, 2017
Virginia
About a week ago I made a snap decision to become a runner. After reading a bit online, I sent back my Zappos order and decide to go barefoot! So far, I've done some walking, a couple of small jogs, and running in my backyard trying to get form down.

Today, I did about one km, probably 65% running 35% walking. It went quicker than I thought! At times I felt like I wasn't moving as smoothly as I thought I should be, but this could be due to the fact that I'm horribly out of shape. I have since discomfort on my forefoot pads behind my toes, not sure if my feet aren't used to it or if I'm pushing or dragging or what.

I also have some soreness in my calves and heels but not bad. I've always had very tight Achilles tendons and back of legs still hope they will slowly stretch. I'm still trying to figure out if I need to pick my feet up more or less, bend my knees, etc, but maybe I need to build up more stamina before focusing on that?

Also, I felt like I was keeping my ankles tight (holding them flexed not extended) which I've never felt before running with shoes. Is this normal? Should I try and do anything with them? I tried to think about cadence but there is still a lot going on!

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated! Just got Ken Bob's book from Amazon so I'll be reading that this weekend too. Thanks for all the great advice I've already found on the site!

I sent back my Zappos order and decide to go barefoot!
Awesome! Welcome! :barefoot:

I have since discomfort on my forefoot pads behind my toes, not sure if my feet aren't used to it or if I'm pushing or dragging or what.
It's a little bit of both, I'm sure. Try to lift and not dig in.

I also have some soreness in my calves and heels but not bad. I've always had very tight Achilles tendons and back of legs still hope they will slowly stretch. I'm still trying to figure out if I need to pick my feet up more or less, bend my knees, etc, but maybe I need to build up more stamina before focusing on that?
Your calves and heels/Achilles can be tight due to the change in your foot's elevation to the ground. Your body isn't used to it. That 1-1/2" to 2" heeled-platform common in athletic shoes really does make a huge difference in which muscles are "newly" being worked, shod versus barefoot, whether running or walking. Your calves will feel it the most. You need to concentrate on keeping your knees bent to lessen the strain taking place and to prevent your knees from locking which will also cause shin splints soon enough if you don't. Your legs and feet also need conditioning overall. It just takes time, but with persistence, you'll get there.

Also, I felt like I was keeping my ankles tight (holding them flexed not extended) which I've never felt before running with shoes. Is this normal? Should I try and do anything with them? I tried to think about cadence but there is still a lot going on!
Ken Bob is our Senior Advisor here. If he doesn't respond, I will just go ahead and say it...Relax, Relax, Relax! (his mantra)

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7