picture-12528.jpg

Date Reviewed: 11/12/2011
Review Type:Trail

Barefoot Friendliness: 4 Below Average

Topsail Hill State Park Preserve
7525 W. Co. Hwy. 30-A
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
See map: Google Maps

Advanced barefooters ONLY! Quite frankly I would not go barefoot out here unless I had been to the Copper Canyons barefoot and lived to tell about it. If you are minimally shod you should be fine. Short gaiters or tall socks are recommended since the grass can be knee-high in places and the trail is a combination of duff, sand, pine needles, and occasional areas of crushed stone. Be careful in the sandy area that is the restored former road. A change of socks is a good idea because the sand is very fine and you WILL get blisters if it gets into your socks! Despite the LONG hike to get out here the spectacular views of Morris Lake are totally worth it. It is a coastal dune lake that "breaks out" to join with the Gulf of Mexico every few months and is fairly pristine since recreational boating has been banned for years. There are also some actual old-growth longleaf pines along the trail as well as lots of wildflowers in the spring and fall and lots of interesting critters. This trail isn't used that often so the wildlife and birds are more abundant. I once saw a bobcat in this area of the park! There are no facilities or trash cans in this area so please carry in and out. You will find lots of solitude! Bring sufficient water even if it is winter! Be prepared to self rescue if you have a problem over here AND carry a cell phone. However, of you can hobble, hop, or drag yourself north to highway 98 the hospital is right across the street. Leave plenty of time to hike out before dark! Have your partner check you for ticks when you get home.

Please remember that this is Florida and there are venomous snakes, chiggers, fleas, ticks, sand spurs, fire ants, prickly pear, venomous spiders, Africanized honey bees, scorpions, alligators, sting rays, sharks, jellies, etc. Presently there is a $6 park entry fee for cars. It may be less for cyclists or runners, but I am not sure so call (850) 267-0299 to find out. I think you may be able to get in for half price an hour before sunset, but again not sure.

I took some liberties with this map to show the main trail. I got it from here: http://www.visitsouthwalton.com/Travel-Brochures . It's "A Guide to Hiking and Biking".

Download the PDF if you want to see the rest of the trails.

trailmap.jpg

This is a shot of Morris Lake from that little loop on the Old Growth Trail. It's a nice place to sit and rest or have a picnic.
DSC02958.jpg

This view is pretty much looking straight south across the lake to where I took the pic of my Bikilas in the Morris Lake Trail review.
DSC02961.jpg

This is from the dead-end portion of the trail and is a little side wetland off the main lake. Yes, there are alligators.
DSC02959.jpg

This is the far east end of Morris Lake as seen from the Old Growth Trail. It's very swampy over there and the state park abuts a private nature preserve on that end, so there are no trails but you can often see bald eagles, osprey, and various waterfowl in this area.