Old blood blisters

metalbarefooter

Barefooters
Aug 17, 2011
Sweden
Hello there, Mikael, new member from Sweden here!

Got a question about some old blood blisters that i managed to create a week ago.

Been running barefoot for about 6 months and these are the first bloody ones i've got after a 6km run last wednesday. First i thought it was due to the cold (around 0 Celsius that day) but i then figured it had to be from a few extra speedy laps on a local track with slappy form and to much pushing off. Didn't notice them until afterwards...silly.

I left them untouched and rested for 3-4 days, when nothing seemed to disappear i decided to drain them a few days later and got some blood out that hadn't been "coagulated(??)"

Not all though, as you can see:)

Actually, I don't have any big problems with them now a week later but i'm curious how long it can take for the body to make them "go away" ? Since then, I have now run a few times both with and without shoes for a few kilometers and it felt good.

Any ideas? Thank you!

now that you mention it, i

now that you mention it, i still have a blood blister on my little toe from over a month ago. i got it during a race, 10k. i felt something while running so i changed my form and didn't feel anything after that. i later noticed i had a blood blister but i didn't pop this one. it wasn't any where that bothered me and i can still see it. i've been running almost this entire time as well. i took some time off from getting sick.

so if it doesn't bother you i guess you should just keep running. good luck.

Welcome to the forum!!!The

Welcome to the forum!!!

The few I had from starting out BF laster quite awhile. I dug / cut mine out with a pair of toenail clippers.

I think it depends on how deeply thy form to answer your question. Just leave them alone for awhile and see what happens.

Hi Mikael, and

Hi Mikael, and welcome!

Those are definately from pushing off. The advice about leaving them alone is correct. Those blisters form deep in the layers of the skin. There will come a point that the skin wears off enought that they come to the surface and will end up as little flaps of skin. You can start to remove the loose parts at that time. It can take weeks and weeks for them to come all the way to the surface. I use a toenail clipper to remove the loose edges. Don't pull at them, and never try to drain that kind of blister. Risk of infection is too high. Surface, watery type blisters can usually be drained easily, then protected for a few days while they heal.

Good luck, and no more pushing off!
regular_smile.gif

And THAT's the final word on

And THAT's the final word on blisters, folks!

Thanks guys, very helpful!It

Thanks guys, very helpful!

It looks like they're coming out further and further towards the surface but slowly, I'll just keep going and keep an eye on them and see what happens.

I agree that it was pretty stupid to go in and drain...i made sure to make it as clean as possible but i guess you can never be sure about this.

Anyway, this was big help and i keep getting more and more impressed by this forum, a wonderful source of knowledge.

Mikael

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts