Officially a minshod "runner"

pitbullmamaliz

Barefooters
May 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Just "ran" *snicker* for the first time in my Vibrams. Gotta say, I actually felt like I was just skimming the ground a few times. I've always been a clomper, not a skimmer, so it was a pretty cool feeling! Burned 389 calories in 30 minutes and was very comfortable running. My run was probably slower than most people's walks, but hey, I did it. It was odd as I actually felt lighter on my feet while jogging than I did while walking. Pretty pleased with myself right now as I'm about 50 lbs overweight and didn't think I'd be able to do the C25K Week 1 intervals (a whopping one minute jogging at a time) without dying. The bottoms of my big toes feel a little tender, as if if I was THIS CLOSE to getting blisters. But I'm sure my form still leaves much to be desired and I'll get it figured out. And I apologize if the formatting on this post is wonky - it won't let me use my return key to get a new line, and the sentences are writing over each other...hope it posts okay! Anyway, glad to be a part of this group of people!

You'll do better to try running barefoot first before turning to footwear, so that you can tell exactly how your form is off. Right now, your shoes are masking that. You can do this. Find a place that is hard, flat, and free of debris and run for just 1/4 of a mile without your shoes. Then if you must, finish your run with your VFFs. You will see a HUGE difference in the way you perceive your footing, especially if you are new to minshoes or barefoot.

Reactions: Bare Lee
You're cute - run for a quarter mile. ;-) I can't do that WITH shoes, let alone without! I'm really out of shape.

But as I said in my intro thread, I tried just walking in my yard and driveway barefoot and was hobbling ASAP. I have crappy concrete and sharp pointy things from the trees, and quite frankly, really sensitive feet. Yes, I'm a sissy. If I see a decent stretch of sidewalk somewhere though I will try it. I promise.

Okay, you said it publicly...if you see a stretch of sidewalk you will try it, and you promised, so that means you HAVE to do it. We'll convert you eventually. [insert eeeevil laugh here]

I guess there's no chance of too much too soon with you then, since you don't run far? Not necessarily. People who can't feel their footfalls or tell where or how their feet are landing become injured more often than those who are truly barefoot. Running barefoot will teach you how to run softly, gently. What's your farthest run, recently?

Definitely no worries of TMTS. I actually hesitated about trying this whole minshod thing since I'm not a runner in ANY sense of the word, but I figured that I kept reading how people need to take it slowly so I thought, "what the hell? That's my only option anyway!" LOL Not sure distance-wise of a run, but I jogged for a minute at a time this evening and passed MAYBE 10-15 driveways? I'm not kidding when I say my jog is slower than most people's walk. It's kind of embarrassing, but as the saying goes, at least I'm lapping the people still on their couches.

And I hope you DO manage to convert me to total barefoot! That would be awesome. I love being the shock value for my friends. :)

I remember when I could only run (if that's you want to call it) four houses (max) at a time before I was winded. It will come. If you ran 10-15 houses today, you will run 20 next time, then 30, and so on. Push yourself just a little. In a couple of months, you will amaze yourself at how much you will progress. I used to think running wasn't for me, that I didn't have the body for it, that my lungs weren't built for it, that I just wasn't athletic enough, but I amazed myself. Within 2-4 months (can't remember exactly), I was running 2 miles at a time without stopping. From there, it just got better and better. You CAN do the same.

I appreciate the encouragement - it's nice hearing from others who started at essentially "ground zero" like I am and are now able to run. I hope to do the 5K Race for the Cure in mid-September. I can't imagine actually running for 30 minutes straight, or 3 miles, or whatever. Doesn't even register as an possibility in my noggin right now. But I like to surprise myself and others. And if I manage to lose some weight in the process, that would be outstanding.

The C25K is scheduled for only 3 days a week - would you recommend sticking to that or could I do it a bit more frequently?

I have never used the C25K, but I hear it is excellent. I know lots of people who have used it and were very successful with it. Because of that, I would stick to it, if that's the plan you want to follow. Three days a week is pretty good for a new runner. You need those rest days to allow your muscles and body to heal. Once you get past the 3 mile mark, you can then start thinking about adding more miles and running four days a week with just three days off. I got to where I was running 5, sometimes 6, days a week. You can get there, but you will only get there if you are smart about it.

Hi Liz, and welcome! welcome!

I started from non-runner status (or couch) just over 2 years ago and still run only every other day or so. I'll take an extra day off if I feel like it. On the other side, I can run 10 miles Barefoot (or BF as we write here) without any worries and without needing to crumble and cry for a while. At this point it's easy for me.

But don't take any plan too seriously. If you don't feel like you're recovered enough to do the next workout, put it off a day or scale back a bit. You will do fine and do not need to hurry. Most of us here like to think about running as something we want to do and expect to be doing for the rest of our lives. Rushing the early stages gets you hurt, and actually slows you down in the long run.

Pay good attention to your body, and you will be amazed at how well you develop wind, muscle, and grace, even. One day in the not too distant future you will realize that you are, indeed, a runner!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Thanks, JT! I had to chuckle at "without needing to crumble and cry for a while." :) I need to keep reminding myself this is long-term so I don't get burnt out. Before when I tried this I'd end up with nasty shin splints, probably from clomping along like a Clydesdale in lead shoes. Patience is a virtue, just not one that comes naturally. But I'll do my damnedest!

Yah, just want to second everything TJ&JT said. Take it easy, listen to your body, rest when you feel like it, and it will come, by itself. I don't know if having a race deadline is such a good thing, but it's a good motivator. Just don't let it make you run more than you're ready to. A lot of people come to this as either barefooters or runners, but you're actually trying to learn too different things at the same time. Like a Spanish-speaker learning math in an English-speaking school.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test