Odd TOFP

About 6 weeks ago I was doing some reconfiguring of the garden involving a fair bit of spade work. At one point I slid into the trench I was digging and twisted my left ankle. Acute pain immediately on the outside of the ankle just below the ankle bone where the peronous longus runs around the ankle bone.

No swelling, no bruising. That is still a little painful depending how I land on it etc.

The odd thing is that I've also started having some TOFP around the same time. Not sure if they are linked or not, but it's not like any other pain I've had before.

I don't notice it at all while running or worrking out, or when just sitting, but as soon as I get up and put my foot down, there it is for about 5-10 mins, same on waking.

Not sure if it's just a recurrence of some tendonitis or something else? I would have thought if it was a stress frac I'd feel it all the time while walking or running?

ElyDave,

sounds more fascia than bone. fascia discomfort is the sticky pain on awakening and first movement that goes way once things are warmed up. Do some good range of motion with the foot while sitting and before geting out of bed. as always listen to your body and if something is painful have caution.

Mark

Reactions: Sid
Thanks very much Mark, would massage of the affected area help as well in releasing the fascia?

I've got an appointment with a sports thereapist on Friday to deal with a hamstring issue, but I'll mention this to him as well, he may as well be treating the whole individual.

ElyDave,

Not a doctor here, total lay person, but try google searching "cuboid syndrome" (AKA "aggravated cuboid," "cuboid subluxation," "lateral plantar neuritis," "cuboid fault syndrome," "dropped cuboid," "locked cuboid," and "subluxed cuboid")

I came here to the BRS forums trying to find information on this very thing because I have some TOFP which I was first afraid might be a stress fracture of the cuboid bone. But after reading up on cuboid syndrome, I think my symptoms fit it. It is often implicated as a complication of plantar flexion and inversion ankle injury (twisting your ankle when the foot bends inward)

I have pain in the peroneal tendon area above the cuboid bone. I feel weak when using a pushing off motion from my forefoot. It doesn't bother me when I'm running, because I think I have mastered the lifting of the feet and no longer push off. (However, that may not be true because it hurts the next day after a run when I'm just walking around.)

Anyway, I wouldn't know from Adam your symptoms except for that I am researching this for myself right now.

Thanks Fresca,

I'll have a look at that when I get some time. Mark's idea above has also been helpful and i've got less discomfort now. My sports injury therapist seems to think it's nothing more than a sprain.

Here's a video about it I'm watching now that seems very good. My husband, who is a dual-degreed medical physican and chiropractic physician, gave me an adjustment to restore mobility of the cuboid bone (and joints surrounding it) in the foot last night that has produced considerable improvement in my own foot this morning.

I'm putting the video here for you to check out and for future people searching these threads who might have an interest in this cuboid problem. In the video, the Dr. goes over the bone anatomy of the foot and the joints around the cuboid bone quite thoroughly and it is of high interest to barefoot-minded people who might have an interest in the anatomy of the foot.