Odd little sleepy spot in my arch!

Honey momma

Barefooters
Jul 18, 2013
Hi,
I took up running a year ago and run barefoot. Everyone thinks I'm insane and will end up so injured I won't even be able to walk in a few years... I'm pretty sure God knew what he was doing when he created our feet! Anyhow, for the past month now I've had a little 2inch spot on my left arch close to my heel that feels like its asleep! No pain at all just feels really odd. People (who either don't believe in barefoot/minimalist running, or don't run at all) have said its plantar fasciitis. I'm not in pain though...
Just wondering what do you think? Could this be from running barefoot? Or is it just a runner thing? Should I try K-Tape? I started out super slow when I took up running...

Thank you!!!

strange. maybe a pinched nerve? try "ask the docs" forum see what they say. k tape won't do too much for that afaik.

Its not plantar fasciitis. If I was you I would take my thumb and probe around the entire foot deep to the bone searching for any tender spots. When you find them apply deep pressure to them and slowly they should subside. Track all these tender spots and take a photo of each one and post them on the site. Remember to especially go on the inside of the along the medial ankle foot area as the nerves that supply this area come from there. You may have a tarsal tunnel syndrome which is a pinched nerve as it passes through the ankle area.

foot_tarsal_tunnel_intro01.jpg

Tarsal tunnel syndrome is the most commonly reported nerve entrapment of the ankle and is analogous to the carpal tunnel of the wrist. People with tarsal tunnel syndrome have pain in the plantar aspect of the foot mostly at night. Weight bearing increases pain and weakness is found on intrinsic foot muscles with positive Tinel sign at the tunnel. There is no tenderness present on the plantar foot, though this is typically the primary site of complaint. It has many different presentations.

Hi, (ok I'm pleasantly surprised its you Dr. Stoxen!) I've read Anthony's book, and it, along with Anthony's noticeable progression is what got me moving to health and into barefoot running! I have tried before the applying pressure/human spring that is in the book. I don't understand it, and don't notice anything( perhaps I'm doing it wrong). I did go to a chiropractor for. Month, but it was too expensive to continue. I now eat clean, drink only water, green tea, and fresh made veggie juices. I work out 2-4 days a week (including running, yoga, and weight lifting) my Vibrams are my workout shoes for everything, I've even done yoga in them, but mostly barefoot for that. Errands are also in vibrams. I am not in pain. My foot just feels weird in that spot. Included is a pic showing the area of weirdness, between my fingers, and the most sensitive are under my thumb in the other pic. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 13
Unfortunately, without actually putting my hands on your foot and feeling what is moving and what is not, it is difficult to figure out however, tarsal tunnel typically tends to be painful. Yours is numb. It is by the arch however, plantar fasciitis is painful, not at all sleepy. This is a long shot however, if you are tight in the back of the calf, this can be an effect of peroneal nerve entrapment however, I doubt that since you are not reporting any weakness. If you can post a phone video of you running on a treadmill for about 30 seconds from the side and back, I may be able to give you some more insight into possibly what you are feeling and why.

Dr. Williams, where is the pain located with peroneal nerve entrapment, please?

Thanks. I was wondering because she said her arch had a weird spot. I must not have read that right then.