Nutrition on long runs question

PB Junkie

Barefooters
Oct 31, 2011
Idaho
I've read that if you're going to be out running for more than 1.5 to 2 hours, you should probably supplement with some sort of protein during the run. As it takes me about 2.5 hours for a HM, I'm wondering if in your opinion, it would be necessary to ingest some form of protein while I'm out there.

What do you use for runs 2 or more hours long?

Slim Jims

I like Hammer products, but I like real food better. I have never liked using gels (mainly because of the sticky mess). I have had good results with raisins and nuts. I not sure if you need protein during your run, but it's a good idea after. I usually don't eat anything if the run or hike is under 2 hours, but I make sure to use electrolytes and stay hydrated. Experiment to find out what works for you.

I'm not sure about long runs, but I know when cycling I was bonking near the end of a century(100 miles) and was just starting into the second century. I was seriously thinking about quitting right there. A friend talked me into eating watermelon. Talk about a super food. I had no problems for the second hundred miles. None. Zero. Nada. I think I actually finished the second hundred faster than the first and I felt pretty good afterwards. I am quickly becoming a firm believer in using fruits for energy before runs. If there's some way for you to get fruit while running I would strongly suggest doing that.

Good info, guys. I'm really just wondering about the protein part. I'm using honey stinger chews and water now. Just wondering if protein would be needed as well.

Do not try anything new during your half marathon - do a couple 10 milers before your race if you can to see how your body feels. I prefer to go without solid foods for that distance personally, and I'm not really sure why your body would want an excessive amount of protein during a run. Maybe after to repair damage, but protein is not a great fuel source for energy. Your digestive system takes a ton of energy to function, and will likely struggle to digest complex foods if you are running hard. This is why people use gels and the occasional marathoner craps themselves.

I'm not sure about long runs, but I know when cycling I was bonking near the end of a century(100 miles) and was just starting into the second century. I was seriously thinking about quitting right there. A friend talked me into eating watermelon. Talk about a super food. I had no problems for the second hundred miles. None. Zero. Nada. I think I actually finished the second hundred faster than the first and I felt pretty good afterwards. I am quickly becoming a firm believer in using fruits for energy before runs. If there's some way for you to get fruit while running I would strongly suggest doing that.
My husband road cycles and mountain bikes. He swears by using 100% frozen juice concentrate as his fuel. He puts it straight up or mixed with just a little water in a gel flask. I've been thinking about doing that and adding a teaspoon of chia (for the protein and water absorbtion) on my long runs.

Good info, guys. I'm really just wondering about the protein part. I'm using honey stinger chews and water now. Just wondering if protein would be needed as well.
IMO, I think a little protein is good if you're going to be running for more than three hours. I like to add a small amount of chia to my homemade gel which I will use on my trail marathons or 50ks. I also eat the PB&Js at the aid stations. If you're not running more than 3 hours I'm not sure your body really needs anything more than just a good electrolyte replacement and maybe a banana. But every body is different. :)

I'm pretty clearly in the no food for runs of that distance camp. I'll eat if it gets over 4 hours, but I think there is alot of value in training yourself not to need food for something like an hour and a half or two hours. I used to just use gus and power bars, now I don't eat much for anything under 20 miles (not that I've been doing this much recently or anything stupid injuries)

No matter what anybody says...you need food on long runs,hikes or whatever you're doing.It depends on the amount you're using.Which to me seems pretty obvious.Try chia seeds for protein.the value is high,easy to process,but try it first to see you like it.to answer you're question if you need protein...you're protein intake should be 1/3 of you're carb intake.So if you're burning a 100gr of carbs an our you're intake should be 30-40 gr.If you've got more questions let me know:)

No matter what anybody says...you need food on long runs,hikes or whatever you're doing.It depends on the amount you're using.Which to me seems pretty obvious.Try chia seeds for protein.the value is high,easy to process,but try it first to see you like it.to answer you're question if you need protein...you're protein intake should be 1/3 of you're carb intake.So if you're burning a 100gr of carbs an our you're intake should be 30-40 gr.If you've got more questions let me know:)

You should check out some of the threads on these epic peoples here going for marathon+ distances without any food or even water. They did just fine. Your body is an impressive machine that can teach itself to do a lot and almost seems to thrive on being abused and pushed passed its own limits. I've heard the same "no matter what anybody says...." line for shoes yet we don't seem to listen to that. Its that whole experiment of one thing. You might need food on the run, but other people can do just fine without it. I couldn't make it past about the 20ish mile mark without food, other people can go further, other people can't go that far. But "no matter what anybody says" comments are drastic over generalizations.

Reactions: mokaman
On all my slow long runs under 3 hours no food before the run only water and/or coffee and of course water during the run ...for speedy running or distances over about 18 miles I'll eat a little before and maybe take a very small amount of food during. During half marathon's and marathon races I'll definitely eat during the race.

I didn't think protein was needed except on Ultra distance's over like 40 miles but I have never ran over a marathon so not sure where the cutoff would be for adding protein.

You should check out some of the threads on these epic peoples here going for marathon+ distances without any food or even water. They did just fine. Your body is an impressive machine that can teach itself to do a lot and almost seems to thrive on being abused and pushed passed its own limits. I've heard the same "no matter what anybody says...." line for shoes yet we don't seem to listen to that. Its that whole experiment of one thing. You might need food on the run, but other people can do just fine without it. I couldn't make it past about the 20ish mile mark without food, other people can go further, other people can't go that far. But "no matter what anybody says" comments are drastic over generalizations.

That may be so...but the fact is that you need to eat!Offcourse there are people who can pull extraordinary feeds on just about nothing,the fact still remains that running (or for that matter any other sport) without nutrition isn't good for your health.

you shouldn't need any protein for under three hours based on a lot of the studies I've seen.

Carbs and electrolytes may be a different story. Most people can get away with glycogen reserves for an HM, but if you are taking up to 2hr 30, you may want some carb intake based on 90-120 minutes being the average length of time before you deplete glycogen reserves. Keeping some carb intake after this helps the fat metabolism function effectively - you need some blood sugar as well.

For my HM race last year, I think I had one gel about half way and water at two of three aid stations. I think I could have gotten away without the gel.

As for no food intake at under two hours, that all depends on the purpose of your two hour run. If I'm going for a semi-long run as part of a training plan for something longer, I may still eat and drink as I would for a longer run if I'm trying to develop/refine my nutrition strategy.

As for fruit (dried and fresh) and nuts, I'm a great believer and use these bars both running and on the bike http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk or just fill a sandwich bag with mixed nuts, berries, raisins etc. I also read about one competitor who ran the marathon des sable on dates and almonds during the day

Reactions: Robin
Thanks everyone. I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need protein, but will continue to use the honey stinger chews and water.

That may be so...but the fact is that you need to eat!Offcourse there are people who can pull extraordinary feeds on just about nothing,the fact still remains that running (or for that matter any other sport) without nutrition isn't good for your health.
It also depends on how much fuel you presently has on your legs. When I start my run hungry / I find myself eating at the start. even if its only an hour run.Eating on the run is something your body learn , how much to eat what to eat/drink, when to eat drink. When your body learn to digest efficiently the food you eat on the go then you have the key to running ultra long distance. And if you can teach your body to rest while running then you can run great distance. One advantage of running minimalist / barefoot is that our stride is very efficient, we use very minimal enrgy, that means more mileage per calorie , means we can eat less for longer run.

Yes
you shouldn't need any protein for under three hours based on a lot of the studies I've seen.

Carbs and electrolytes may be a different story. Most people can get away with glycogen reserves for an HM, but if you are taking up to 2hr 30, you may want some carb intake based on 90-120 minutes being the average length of time before you deplete glycogen reserves. Keeping some carb intake after this helps the fat metabolism function effectively - you need some blood sugar as well.

For my HM race last year, I think I had one gel about half way and water at two of three aid stations. I think I could have gotten away without the gel.

As for no food intake at under two hours, that all depends on the purpose of your two hour run. If I'm going for a semi-long run as part of a training plan for something longer, I may still eat and drink as I would for a longer run if I'm trying to develop/refine my nutrition strategy.

As for fruit (dried and fresh) and nuts, I'm a great believer and use these bars both running and on the bike http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk or just fill a sandwich bag with mixed nuts, berries, raisins etc. I also read about one competitor who ran the marathon des sable on dates and almonds during the day
,it all depends on your caloric rate/hour...if you run a pulse of 120 average you need less compared to a mountain climb on a mtb-marathon doing 163 average.Ass to the fruits and nuts,that's what i do too.Gels upset my stomach;)

You should check out some of the threads on these epic peoples here going for marathon+ distances without any food or even water. They did just fine. Your body is an impressive machine that can teach itself to do a lot and almost seems to thrive on being abused and pushed passed its own limits.

Although it's probably possible to adapt into not needing electrolytes, water or food, training and recovering from such training runs just sucks. If I run with bad hydration, it takes some time to rehydrate afterwards and it might ruin rest of the day and maybe even next day also due to bad sleeping..

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts