Nothing good will come of this, I'm sure...

RunningPirate

Barefooters
Mar 23, 2012
This is one of those things that I'll look back and think: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

So, I got pinged on Facebook by a friend of mine (cousin's husband) asking if I was interested in running the Tough Mudder in AZ in Feb. Of the things I know about TM, two stick out in my mind: Ice Mud and Electrical Shock.

Of course, I said "yes".

Madonn', what have I gotten myself in to?

Yes, the electric shock does have me concerned...they say it's 10,000 V, but I know that it has to be less than 70 mA (70 to 100 mA is lethal - I don't care how many waivers you sign, they can't hit you with a lethal dose of anything).

How does the electrical shock happen? They set it up on purpose?

What if you or someone has a heart attack induced by the shock? That's scary enough if you ask me.

Still...

Moron.

I have a buddy trying to recruit me for the Washington Tough Mudder. The ice bath is the most frightening part for me. I'm still uncommitted. But I'm dumb enough that i'm probably going to do it.

Who's a moron?

Moron.

I have a buddy trying to recruit me for the Washington Tough Mudder. The ice bath is the most frightening part for me. I'm still uncommitted. But I'm dumb enough that i'm probably going to do it.

See, I'm sort of the same way. My reasonable, logical self says NFW....but as soon as I saw that e mail, I thought: Stick a fork in me, I'm toast. I haven't actually signed up or paid money yet...just a verbal agreement, so logic and reason might have a fighting chance...

next question: how does one train for such an event?

They have training plans and whatnot. I'll need to start fairly soon as it's at the end of Feb. I'm more worried about how I'm going to get over the three 12-foot walls - that's over 2 Pirate's high - with no ropes....

Reactions: NickW
Looking forward to hearing about the details & whether the fun outweighs the pain. Hopefully it's the kind of thing where people help each over walls, etc?
They're doing something similar by me, which is somewhat tempting. No way I'd be fit enough by April, but if they make it annual I'm wondering how bad the "body numbing course of sadistic pain" could be (though "You will be burnt, electrocuted, submerged in ice and swim in ball crushing temperatures." should maybe give me a clue), have to get through that to get to the fun bits though; scaling the pier &, if I'm interpreting "subterranean dungeons" correctly actually go into a buried street, which is the stuff of Scooby Doo stories (shops & everything just left with the top paved over).

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7