Norwegian runner sets world record for fastest barefoot half-marathon on snow

SnowBarefootRunner.png

Norwegian runner sets world record for fastest barefoot half-marathon on snow

By Canadian Running

Sevaldrud recently broke the record for the fastest barefoot half-marathon on snow or ice. The previous record was 2:16:34, a time that Dutch athlete Wim Hof ran in 2007. Sevaldrud, who goes by the name Sevald, ran a looped 21.1K course in 1:44:58, smashing Hof’s record. As he shows in his video recap of the run, though, this result didn’t come easily.

In his video, Sevald says he started barefoot running after reading Born to Run. Before reading this book, he had been struggling to find the motivation to train during the pandemic, but the idea of minimalistic running inspired him to ditch his shoes and try hitting the road barefoot. “But I live in Norway,” he says, “and Norway [in] winter time is really not the best place to be running barefoot. But I’m not going to let that stop me.”

To continue reading, please visit: https://runningmagazine.ca/sections...d-for-fastest-barefoot-half-marathon-on-snow/

Norwegian Man Runs Barefoot On The Snow To Set New World Record
Republic World
'Running barefoot on snow wasn't difficult'. In the video, Jonas Felde said that American author Christopher McDougall's book 'Born to Run' inspired him ...

Man runs barefoot in snow for 1 hour, 44 minutes to set new Guinness World Record
Times Now
Running barefoot in the snow is never an easy task. But it has some extraordinary positive effects that can motivate seasoned runners to make a ...

Man runs barefoot half marathon in the snow to break Guinness record
UPI.com
... said the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall inspired him to take up barefoot running, and his early attempts surprised him at how running ...

Norwegian runner sets new record for fastest barefoot half marathon on snow
Runner's World (UK)
Norwegian runner, Jonas Felde Sevaldrud, has broken the world record for the fastest half marathon run barefoot on snow. Sevaldrud, who is also a ...

Norwegian breaks world record for running a half marathon in snow
FemaleFirst.co.uk
A Norwegian runner has unofficially broken a world record for running a half marathon barefoot in the snow. Marathon running. Jonas Felde Sevaldrud ...

It looks great. :)

For sure, an icy ground can not be compared with a thin mattress of fresh dry snow...:hungry:

I was just a little bit confused regarding these stops :confused:. Were they compatible with the protocol for the record ? During them, he had the opportunity to warm his feet...

Enjoy. ;)

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Wow, it just surprises me what we are capable of when we put our minds too it. The blisters he ended up with would not have been any worse than the sort of thing that people would get at the end of a marathon wearing shoes.
Years ago I got a huge blister while running a cross country with spikes. I put some vaseline between my toes which was a big mistake. The heat from the foot slipping around in the shoe caused a 1.5 inch blister.
There must be a sweet spot of surface temperatures to run on, maybe between 10C to 25C. Beyond that and you are getting into riskier ends of what the skin likes.
I sure couldn't do what he did.

Regards

Neil