North Central State Trail 100K Fun Run

dirtdemon77

Barefooters
Apr 4, 2010
I have already posted this on the Michigan Chapter calander, but here it is for anyone else who might be interested.

It's not a race, but one of those "Because it's there" type challanges. No award, no bands, no finishers medals, not even a cheap damn t-shirt. Just a run that is so pointless and absurd its' bound to be a buttload of fun!

Its finally official. On August 14th, I'll be running from Mackinaw City MI, to Gaylord, on the North Central State Trail. Its 62 miles of scenic railway trail that cuts thru some of the most beautiful parts of Northern Michigan. This event isn't a race. It is a test to see if there is interest in hosting an Ultra on this trail. It will also raise awareness of this beautiful trail, and the Top of Michigan Trails Council, the organization that helps create and maintain this amazing trail and several others.

Runners are encouraged to join in for any part of the run. Run as much or as little as you want. Its going to be a long day, and I sure could use some company.

The trail isn't the most BF friendly, as its made of crused limestone, and full of sharp, pointy little stones. It is wide, scenic, and relatively flat though.

www.trailscouncil.org/trail/north-central-state-trail-gaylord-mackinaw-city

Good luck and much fun to

Good luck and much fun to you, DD. Will you run it barefoot?

Yea, that would be my

Yea, that would be my recommendation too, but I didn't know if you were a dare devil or not. Have the railroad tines and stakes been removed? I read they have bike riding on the same "course." I would think it wouldn't be too impassable.

The trail is very passable

The trail is very passable and has been nicely upgraded. Everyone from cyclists and hikers to horseback riders and goats use it. Its even a snowmobile trail in the winter. One of the reasons I got involved with this group is that they are very multi-use oriented. So many trail groups around here are all about one use or another, and want to keep their trails strictly mountain bikes, or hikers only. This trail system is one of those hidden gems that virtually no one uses. Part of the idea behind this run is to generate some publicity and show people just how far this trail can take you.

Just an update...here is the

Just an update...here is the first info for the run. More is to come, including a full interview in the local newspaper. The reporter wants to have a nice long discussion about minimalist running and llamas as well as this run. And he wants to do it at my house! Damn, now I gotta dress all nice and mow the grass! This thing has gotten outta hand! LOL

www.trailscouncil.org/news/ultra-marathoner-run-north-central-state-trail-august-14-255

Please share the interview

Please share the interview with us once it's been done, won't you?

Great, email me at

Great, email me at [email protected] when the time comes; we may want to add it to our news show.

Thanks LPJ and good luck with

Thanks LPJ and good luck with your races. Maybe next year we'll have an ultra up here for you to race. Thats my goal in all of this. I want to develop a race on this trail.

dirtdemon77 wrote:I have

dirtdemon77 said:
I have already posted this on the Michigan Chapter calander, but here it is for anyone else who might be interested.

It's not a race, but one of those "Because it's there" type challanges. No award, no bands, no finishers medals, not even a cheap damn t-shirt. Just a run that is so pointless and absurd its' bound to be a buttload of fun!

Its finally official. On August 14th, I'll be running from Mackinaw City MI, to Gaylord, on the North Central State Trail. Its 62 miles of scenic railway trail that cuts thru some of the most beautiful parts of Northern Michigan. This event isn't a race. It is a test to see if there is interest in hosting an Ultra on this trail. It will also raise awareness of this beautiful trail, and the Top of Michigan Trails Council, the organization that helps create and maintain this amazing trail and several others.

Runners are encouraged to join in for any part of the run. Run as much or as little as you want. Its going to be a long day, and I sure could use some company.

The trail isn't the most BF friendly, as its made of crused limestone, and full of sharp, pointy little stones. It is wide, scenic, and relatively flat though.

www.trailscouncil.org/trail/north-central-state-trail-gaylord-mackinaw-city

You fly me up there and I'll be there!