Noisy shod runners

SI barefoot

Barefooters
Jul 15, 2014
Carbondale, Il
As a barefoot runner I can't help but hear noisy shod runners as they pass my house (one just did a minute ago). It's a distinct thump, thump, thump . . . and their form always looks so labored and clunky. I feel like the former smoker who gives other people who still smoke dirty looks for doing so, lol. Have others felt this way, too, since crossing over to the barefoot realm?

I tend to notice what shoes people wear for running a lot more. I'm also very critical of their form. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw someone the other day running heels to butt for every step. Why would you even want to do that?

As for the sound itself, I usually run or walk with music on so I don't notice as much and my house is in a location where not too many runners run.

Most of the time, I can't help but think they just don't know what they are missing. But then again, everyone knows smoking is bad for you and some people still do it.

All in all, I'd say I can definitely relate to what you're describing.

Edit: to add to Yuca's reply. I agree with this. I guess you kind of develop some strange fascination for feet after transitioning.

My life at the bedside working in ahospital has taught me a lot about what to do and what not to do to stay healthy. I tell people/patients I went into healthcare in order to stay out of it. I also notice peoples' veins and size them up for stickability, lol. Nurses really are warped.

Reactions: happysongbird
The worst is watching toddlers stumble with stiff, heeled shoes.

Yeah, that one bums me out, cause they are damaging their children for decades to come without knowing any better.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Annoying, aren't they?

Reactions: Bare Lee
we call it "professional criticism"
Runners with cramped arms, runners with over the heel style, runners who wear full bodysuit in summer, including the hat, runners who think that their style is "relaxing" but is hilarious in spite of that, parents that deny their children to be bf because there is Ebola in playground sand...

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Since transitioning to bf running I notice people's running form -specifically how they land the foot - whether forefoot, mid foot or heel strike. I have seen one person who appeared to to a fore to mid foot strike onone side and a definite heel strike on the other. Rather unusual appearance. I'm guessing a present or past injury caused that. What I don't understand is the young ladies who wear those stilt-like high heel shoes (with thick soles in the front no less!) and wobble around on them looking like a kid learning to ride a bike for the first time, wonder how many feet/ankles those contraptions have damaged? My daughter wore those things in the past. Now she is working on the tour boats with visitors to the island and now it's canvas shoes or barefoot -no boat captain would allow those things within a mile of his boat!

Reactions: Sid
When talking about the noise of shod runners, I think the worst is the noise I make when walking in my office shoes. It's sooooo annoying....

I wear five fingers to work. They serve my purpose there well. Protection and compliance with the law. Plus they make for conversation pieces with other staff and patients. They're great ice breakers. The patients must think, what in the world does he have on his feet, lol. They're quiet, too.

Sound. Yep. Barefoot KenBob mentions sneaking up on dogs (or rather, try not to). I have scared the crap out of some squirrels in the fall. I am quite aware of the noises I make while running barefoot. When I have water, the slosh, slosh, slosh. The heavy breathing. Just because its cool, and because I can, I usually sync my arm / water movements to be more silent and my breathing to be more quiet as I come upon some oblivious - iPhone'd - earphone'd walker. Then I clear my throat as I am closing in on them. The higher they jump, the more oblivious they were. :)

Back to the noisy runners though. I have enjoyed for over the past year, unplugging. Just taking the headphones out and running listening to myself and whats around me. I still keep a Garmin watch on, and a lot of the local HS kids who clump around, do so much faster than me, but its a great feeling to be fast AND silent!

I wear Vivobarefoot Ra's. I could no longer stand elevated heels and cramped toes.

There is a dress code in my office. I can't just wear anything I want :(

Sorry to hear about the dress code. Id love to get more stores to allow barefoot, and work. I mean.... When we sign up for a race, there is a waiver form that pretty clearly says, "if anything happens to me, including my death, its not the town's, the race director or anybody's fault and I wont sue and neither will my heirs". I know some places just want shoes for the look. (like your work) but if more places allowed barefoot, and more of us took them up on their offer, maybe the world would be more accepting. maybe?

Tbh, I don't really expect an accountant office to relax their shoe policy. :p

But for stores and shopping malls, I sure would enjoy that.

As for unplugging, well I do it, but I like music a lot too. Sometimes I'm plugged, sometimes I'm not. It depends on my mood.