Newby Barefoot runner from NJ

Woodsman

Barefooters
Jan 13, 2012
Hello everyone

I just wanted to introduce myself.

I have been running in the best shoes money can buy for about 4 years (well maybe 2ndor 3rdbest). After trying to train for a marathon a few times and falling short due to various injuries I decided to try something new. I started dabbling in barefoot last spring and summer, walking almost daily barefoot and still running in sneakers. I received a copy of “Born to Run” for Christmas, and I have been inspired to go jump fully on the barefoot/minimalist bandwagon.

I cut way back on my mileage and have been running in sockwa amphibians on both road and treadmill for the last month. I’d like to go full barefoot, but it’s still too cold outside and a sign at the gym specifically states “proper footwear” is required. Other than some sore calf muscles, I think it is going well. I could still use a lot of advice and hoping pick up a few pointers.

Kind regards

Brian

Welcome Brian! We're

Welcome Brian! We're neighbors, I'm in Delaware. We'll be baggin up all your trash off our beaches and sending it back to you soon...
wink.png
Sounds like you're doing it right, taking it slow. It's good to hear about a "newbie" who is taking the proper time to stay healthy.

That being said, this thread will now be hijacked to argue whether gyms should allow barefooting or not...

barefoot ramzev

barefoot ramzev said:
Welcome Brian! We're neighbors, I'm in Delaware. We'll be baggin up all your trash off our beaches and sending it back to you soon...
wink.png

Thanks, but you can keep the cast of "Jersey Shore". :p

I am trying to be careful. I have gotten myself into trouble before. As my doctor was so kind to point out, I am not in my twenties anymore.

Hey... I'm from Jersey. Way

Hey... I'm from Jersey. Way up north, Ringwood. I have relatives in West Milford.

After living there and in Maryland, I think the barefooting is easier here. ;)

You are probably doing the most important thing - taking it easy. It does take a long time to get strong feet and calves. Then again, I'm very middle aged, so it'll probably be easier for you.

Welcome Woodsman,Same broken

Welcome Woodsman,

Same broken record, take it slow and get barefoot as soon as possible. You will find that you won't even want to go into the gym when it warms up. Be patient and your marathon will come.

My biggest problem was trying to transition while registered for a marathon. Too much switching from barefoot to min-shoes. I loved my short barefoot runs, but had to do the longer ones in Vibrams. So avoid the longer races for a while.

It won't be long and your Amphibians won't fit. Sockwa is coming out with a G3 that is wider and larger sizes.

Rick

Welcome!  Be sure to check

Welcome! Be sure to check out the Chapters tab above and join the chapter/s that are closest to you.

It's important to put the racing goals aside until after you have a good, proper form going and then only after you've been running barefoot for awhile.

Welcome!Just so Ramvez

Welcome!

Just so Ramvez doesn't look like an idiot....

Have you tried wearing huaraches? They take a little getting used to, but their as close to bare foot as you can get, and you might be able to use them on the dread mill!

Oh, and good job on starting of slow and easy. Very worth it in the end!

Don't forget about a good ole

Don't forget about a good ole pair of socks. Those are by far the best minfootwear you can run in, especially on a treadmill.

It's very hard for me not to

It's very hard for me not to look like an idiot. I try but resistance is futile. If I wasn't an idiot TJ would think my user name got hijacked and she'd probably delete me.

Yes, you're an old comfy

Yes, you're an old comfy chair by now, Ram.