Newbie sole seasoning

Gkikas

Barefooters
Mar 23, 2011
When I was little, my grandmother used to read my fortune by examining how coffee grounds drip down the insides of an upside down teacup. I need that same kind of wisdom, though more empirically based, about my feet and my rate of progression in BFR.

In a nutshell, my story is like this. I'm in mostly decent physical shape, 37 years old and been running for one month barefoot. Prior to this, I'd hurt my knee overdoing it in shoes trying to prepare for a half. Took 5 weeks off and still pain. Discovered BFR and haven't worn shoes but for work since... knee pain is GONE, and I'm spiritually and physically awakened by my experience so far. I'm a convert, 100%, and will probably never wear shoes to run again.

So, I ask for your opinions about what my soles tell you about my pace/progress/form. I know that the general wisdom is to let my body be my guide, and I think I've done a decent enough job of this so far. The only thing that hurts after runs are the hot spots on the ball of my feet beneath my first and fifth metatarsals, and that pain is gone by the next day (abrasion type sensitivity.)

These pictures were taken right after a 2 mile morning run near the limit of my comfortable pace. Are these hot spots (and little blisters here and there) within an acceptable range of wear, in your opinion? I see very experienced barefoot runners and their soles appear, in photos, less 'abused' after a marathon than mine do after a 2mi run. Do my soles look on par for someone 'seasoning' his feet for the first time?

Left.jpg

Right.jpg

I definitely sense a running imbalance. I scraped my right foot's toe (pretty awesome MT) and then overcompensated, causing a really sore left Achilles, since I'm landing harder on the left foot (obviously more beat up than the right). I'm trying to relax both sides more, and I think the imbalance is improving, but still, I just want a sanity check. Thanks! :)

Man, you aren't kidding about

Man, you aren't kidding about the MT. I don't think I've ever seen one that long! Geez! Nyal, I say Gkikas wins the trophy for the longest Morton's Toe. Look at that baby!

Okay, seriously. It looks to me that you are at least pushing off with an even amount of pressure across your metatarsals. The negative is that you are pushing off and not lifting.

Yes, you will develop thicker skin, and the sensitivity issue will become less. Some of us (me) have thinner skin than others, so it takes a little while longer to condition our skin. But for a newb, I think your feet look (on the outside, since I can't see the inside) just fine.

Thanks for the feedback, TJ!

Thanks for the feedback, TJ! Indeed, I know my form's got some refining to do, and I can feel it improving every time I run. My rest days are marked by soles in recovery, of which I'm keenly aware... I can feel my pulse beating benath my feet... it's crazy.

Can't wait to get up early tomorrow and leave the house with nothing but my shorts and my Droid (runkeeper), not knowing exactly where I'm going. I haven't run the same exact route twice in the month I've been barefooting, kind of like how Jimi Hendrix played guitar.

I know, neat, huh?  The

I know, neat, huh? The feeling of your heart beating in your feet is odd at first, but then you start to crave it, just like feeling the tingling and itching as the blood flows to your feet.

Looks pretty normal to me.

Looks pretty normal to me. One part of your footpad that will develop more is the outside of your foot between your toes and heel. Actually do you let your heel touch when you are running? I wonder if you are running up on your toes a little too much?

I've been letting my heels

I've been letting my heels touch more lately, yes. Not hard at all, but not super-softtly, either... feels like my heel's making more contact since I started trying to have more of a midfoot landing. I noticed over the past couple of runs that my left Achilles isn't nearly as tender, either, having envisioned midfoot with some mild heel contact.

The first time I did an

The first time I did an only-chipseal run, I opened up a nice friction raspberry on the outside of my third right toe, and a smaller matching one on the left side. I took a week off for them to heal over, and have been on somewhat rough concrete sidewalks since. I've run over it to get to the other sidewalk or swale, but not 'down the chipseal' since then.

I do plan to work growing stretches of it in with the sidewalk/grass, though.