New winter specific 5 fingers

These are much nicer than the Flows. I wonder if they still make the Flows. That was the first model used for winter running, if my memory serves. Of course, they were first intended for deck shoes and kayaking.

I really like the idea of the neoprene heel cuff to keep the snow out! I was thinking of gaiters like what Gidds used. These do look well though, probably much better than adding on gaiters, but the cost is about double my cap for shoes. No go for me until the price drops by 50%.

I have seen these personally and I am not sold on them, but that being said I did not try them either because the pair that a friend of mine got to demo were not my size. Visually and by handling them I found them to be way to much (heavy and clunky compared to the KSO's and even the Bikilas). There will be very little to no ground feel in these and there is a ridge line just behind the toes that really concerns me. They honestly don't look that comfortable, and no matter what they say about them being warmer they will still be limited on temp due to the toe separation. But that being said, I did not try them out so my opinion really means squat. ;) The price tag is also a little crazy for something that you are not sure is going to work.

By the way TJ, I do not believe that Vibram produces the Flow's anymore, they were a complete failure, I wore the pair I got twice and they ripped my feet apart with all the seams on the inside of the shoes.

Yes, their first model, even the Classics and the Sprints, had a lot of seams in them. I guess they've resolved that with the newer models. I don't know. I haven't worn any in a very long time.

I'm also skeptical of the above mentioned VFFs. I've been wearing my tropical-weight (they are the only ones with completely flexible soles, my cold-water ones are like mainstream shoes) neoprene SCUBA booties lately with my winter socks. I've had them for about 15 years, so I am not at all concerned about messing them up. I personally get cold fairly quick and wouldn't try this in New England, or anywhere else frostbite is a concern, but down here they work just fine when I am in a situation where I want dry feet+zero drop+flexible sole+no stupid padding. I guess they might be ok for snowy short to medium-length runs even for somebody like me who gets cold. I hate snow, you guys can keep it! I have a new pair of Vivo hikers that I haven't been wearing much because the sole is too rigid for what I wanted to do, but I will review them eventually. They are lovely and warm, with a wide toe box, and I would wear them in snowy places with wool socks, if I weren't bothered by the stiff sole and wasn't running that is. My other thought for snow is waterproof tabi boots, there seem to be a lot of them available for mostly reasonable prices.