New member in Hampshire UK

footloose2

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Hi fellow barefoot runners.

I thought that it was time for me to join the barefoot running community!

I have been almost 100% barefoot since 1999. I have been running informally since then as part of my efforts to keep fit. In the early days I would run on the streets of Cardiff, Wales, often at night so that others would not see! For the last 9 years I have lived in a small village in Southern England. No one here has ever seen me with anything on my feet and I have gained a degree of notoriety as I volunteer for the village community farm which has received considerable publcity in the past.

I work as an xray doctor where I use birkenstocks when I am with patients. The staff are used to seeing me barefoot!

I particularly enjoy barefoot travel and hiking, having completed several barefoot trecking vacations. To combine my interests in running, barefooting and travel, I plan to participate in the India barefoot half marathon in November so I will need to increase my usual running distance of 6 miles. I usually run in the nature reserve behind my village so the surfaces are varied and natural. There are also some hills to get me fitter!

I hope to get encouragement from this group and would like to meet other barefoot runners. Maybe several of us can get together in Mumbai in November!

Reactions: Stephanie
I'm sure you will have plenty

I'm sure you will have plenty of company in Mumbai! Welcome here!

Barefoot TJ wrote:I'm sure

Barefoot TJ said:
I'm sure you will have plenty of company in Mumbai! Welcome here!

Many thanks!

I have measured how much further I need to get used to running before November and measured some routes on my local map. Quite shocking!

You can do it!  November is a

You can do it! November is a long time from now. Just find a good training plan and stay within its limits, don't run too far or too fast at any time, and keep building up gradually.

Phil Hart wrote:Welcome to

Phil Hart said:
Welcome to the family, doc. You're not new, just new to us. So enjoy and share your vast experience with us newer folks. Thanks,

Phil

Thanks Phil

I took part in the UK run on 1st May, had a great time and made some new friends!

I also discovered that my feet are fitter than the rest of me and that I have lots of work to do before the India half marathon in November.

Glad you had yet another good

Glad you had yet another good experience and harvest of new friends. I find that BFR opens lots of conversations with folks who probably would never have spoken otherwise.

You've got plenty of time to train hard but steadily to get you ready while avoiding injuries. Just remember to enjoy the process even as you put in the hard work.

Phil

Hi Footloose,  Welcome to the

Hi Footloose, Welcome to the Society. My wife's form Salisbury, which might be not too far from you. Lovely area and I think there are some excellent trails for running. Good luck with your training, and have fun.

JosephTree wrote:Hi

JosephTree said:
Hi Footloose, Welcome to the Society. My wife's form Salisbury, which might be not too far from you. Lovely area and I think there are some excellent trails for running. Good luck with your training, and have fun.

Thanks JosephTree

Salisbury is my nearest big Town/City. I am becoming known there as the guy who does not have shoes!

The countryside is littered with trails and paths open for public access. Yes, I am very lucky. The trails are often chalk and flint which can be hard on the feet, but only a problem when the sharp flints are hidden below mud!

I thought it was time for an

I thought it was time for an update!

I am registered for the race in Mumbai in November with flights and hotel booked too. No going back now!

I have been gradually increasing my distance in the last weeks and am up to 9.5 miles over mixed road, forest amd track. Not too fast yet but that will come. I have been travelling extensively in the last month so members in Texus, Abu Dhabi, British Columbia and Alaska may have seen me hiking and walking. I enjoyed some spectacular barefoot mountain hiking in Alaska and attracted plenty of comments from locals and tourists while running in small Alaskan towns. Texus and UAE were a bit too hot!

I wish there were not so many stinging nettles on the paths in my home area. They get me on the ankles but that is a small price to pay.

Best wishes to all

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7