New Member in central Mass

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by beedubya, Jan 14, 2011.

1. beedubya

beedubya Barefooters
    1. Massachusetts
    2. Rhode Island

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Brad from Northbridge, MA.

I started barefoot/minimal running last July and I'm in love.

Due to the winter, I'm in the most minimal shoe I can currently find which is the MT101. In the event that I can't get outside in the winter, I mainly stick to barefoot on my dreadmill in the basement.

I've been trying to get out for some longer, for me, trail runs on Sundays unfortunately in my MT101s due to obvious reasons. I haven't yet been deterred by the weather but I think the recent 20in of snow will cause me to think twice this week unless I can find an already broken trail. Post holing through 20in of snow is not running.

I occasionally "race" locally but have yet to do that barefoot. A barefoot 5K is one of my goals for this year.

If you are in the area, drop me a line or maybe we'll see each other at a race or something.

My next planned race is the Boston Tune-up 15K in Upton in Apr. Then it's probably the Rhode Island 1/2 marathon in May. I'm also planning on doing reach the beach in May too. Most of these will be minimally shod because I'm just not that tough yet but I'm working on it.

Cheers,

brad

beedubya

2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Welcome, B.W.!  Some of the

Welcome, B.W.! Some of the chapters are a little slow with meetups during the winter, but things will start booming here in a few more weeks.

3. SillyC

SillyC Barefooters
    1. Massachusetts

Hi Brad!I live in Auburn,

Hi Brad!

I live in Auburn, and I run barefoot! As of right now, I have never seen anyone else in Central Mass running barefoot. I've seen a handful of VFF runners, though. I ran barefoot last week, but since the snow came, I'm running in Teva Protons (current model is called the Sling King). They are too much shoe for just cold weather, but are great in actual snow.

I don't think I'm going to run any of the races you're planning on running. I'm doing the Great Bay Half Marathon on April 3rd (barefoot) and the Pineland Farms 50K in May, probably not bare but most likely in huaraches. There is a barefoot 5K the day before, and I'll run that if I make it up in time.

Have you been to the meetup group for New England Barefoot Runners? Preston Curtis does a fantastic job of organizing barefoot runners, but as of now, most of the races have been in the Boston area.

Heather

4. beedubya

beedubya Barefooters
    1. Massachusetts
    2. Rhode Island

Nice to meet you

Nice to meet you Heather.

I've seen you on the runnerworld forum too.

I went out this morning on the blackstone river canal but I was wearing my MT101s. I did 3mi on my XC skis to scope out the trail conditions and foolishly decided to take the skis off and go for a run. It was pretty brutal and I pretty much turned around after a mile and a half. I couldn't get any solid footing on the packed snow and the unoacked was halfway up my calf.

I love the effortless feel of running and this was definitely not effortless.

The pineland thing sounds awesome. I might have to seriously consider the barefoot 5k and maybe the 25Km (minimal shod since my feet aren't that tough). Only problem is it is the weekend after the reach the beach race so I'm not sure I can get a pass from the family to go up there.

brad