New Member Adeel here

ADeel

Barefooters
Jun 10, 2020
Muscat, OMAN
Hi all, This is Adeel from Pakistan, currently living in Oman. I am currently in transition mode form shoes to barefoot. I was going through some of the forum threads but wasnt able to find out the issue I am facing.

So I have started barefoot small runs / walks for about 2 months now. I started first inside my appartment on tiles for small 2 to 3 km run. By the end of run as expected I felt skin rashes on the my feet. Later I tried 5 to 10km run on the grass outside my home, which also went fine and surprisingly, I didnt experience any rashes. After doing it for multiple times, I tried to run on road 5 kms(barefoot offcourse), and it was nightmare. Not only it was rashes but also the small pebbles on road made it very difficult for me. For next 2 days I wasnt able to walk properly.

I have asked my colleagues and they told me to go for minimal shoes. Due to covid19, all shops were closed and online delivery from US is still taking lot a time. Recently shops are being opened but they only have some Nike / Adidas shoes which doesnt seem to be minimal.
I have already ordered Vibram 5 fingures through amazon but I am not sure when will I receive it.

Therefore my question is: How can I still continue my barefoot run on road until I will recieve the shipment of my Vibram. Are there any alternates in Nike or Adidas which anyone can recommend which is closer to minimal so I can check from my local store? What are my options right now other than running on Grass ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi ADeel,

For those harder surfaces give your feet time to adapt- do short distances and add a bit more every day. It’s the harder/rocky surfaces that teach you to run properly.

Having said that, enjoy the grass. I can run on pavement, gravel, forest trails, etc. but ALWAYS appreciate and look forward to the opportunities for running on grass.

FiveFingers are great shoes, I have several pairs (waaaay more than several...) that extend my running season and terrain conditions. When you get them follow the directions for getting used to them, it’s too easy to get carried away and overdo it (takes the feet time to adapt). I understand why there’s advocates for running barefoot before going for minimal shoes, it’s much harder to overdo it barefooting, very easy to overdo it in minimal footwear.

Welcome, Adeel! Glad you're here!

If you aren't able to run barefoot, have you considered maybe running in socks until your Vibrams show up in the mail? I used socks when the weather was too cold for me. They might work for you.

Reactions: ADeel
Thanks. I have tried walking with normal socks. I felt it was little slippery .. But offcourse I tried it inside home on tiles and not on road.

Can you suggest if I should look for some specific socks for this ?
------------------

QUOTE="Barefoot TJ, post: 198253, member: 3"]Welcome, Adeel! Glad you're here!

If you aren't able to run barefoot, have you considered maybe running in socks until your Vibrams show up in the mail? I used socks when the weather was too cold for me. They might work for you.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Thanks. Yes, I am going for small distances but the pain I felt on road was too much and as a newbie barefoot, I got worried :) But I am planning to do small portions of walking on the road. May be it will help me adapt road surface a little.
---------

Hi ADeel,

For those harder surfaces give your feet time to adapt- do short distances and add a bit more every day. It’s the harder/rocky surfaces that teach you to run properly.

Having said that, enjoy the grass. I can run on pavement, gravel, forest trails, etc. but ALWAYS appreciate and look forward to the opportunities for running on grass.

FiveFingers are great shoes, I have several pairs (waaaay more than several...) that extend my running season and terrain conditions. When you get them follow the directions for getting used to them, it’s too easy to get carried away and overdo it (takes the feet time to adapt). I understand why there’s advocates for running barefoot before going for minimal shoes, it’s much harder to overdo it barefooting, very easy to overdo it in minimal footwear.

Walking outside barefoot is the best was to start. It will help desensitize your plantar skin and help to develop the tissue structures and muscles in your feet to adapt to zero-drop movement.

Wearing socks outside won't have the same slipperiness to them that wearing them inside your home on tile (for example) will. There are some online sock options made just for running, but any sock I may recommend for you to buy may take a period of time to reach you if you should order it online as well. The Vibrams might get there first. As far as something you have at home, pick out a pair that is thicker so it will last longer. Some people add a layer of rubber coating to the bottoms to make them last longer.

Reactions: ADeel
Thanks. Rubber coating. Interesting. I have same type of socks I think. Got it from some indoor playing area for kids... Will try that .

Walking outside barefoot is the best was to start. It will help desensitize your plantar skin and help to develop the tissue structures and muscles in your feet to adapt to zero-drop movement.

Wearing socks outside won't have the same slipperiness to them that wearing them inside your home on tile (for example) will. There are some online sock options made just for running, but any sock I may recommend for you to buy may take a period of time to reach you if you should order it online as well. The Vibrams might get there first. As far as something you have at home, pick out a pair that is thicker so it will last longer. Some people add a layer of rubber coating to the bottoms to make them last longer.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11