New here from Ft Knox Ky!

William rivera

Barefooters
Nov 9, 2012
Ft Knox, ky
Im an Active duty Soldier serving for over 20 years now. Been running my whole life and have completed many halfs anf full marathons (PRs: 1:27 and 3:24). All the running an d combination with Army training (airborne, airassault, etc) have taken a toll on my knees, ankles, lower back and was told that i need to stop running and was given a walking profile...i been reading about the benefits of minimal and BF running and very much look forward on continuing my life given passion of enjoying nature while exercising on my natural feet!

V/r

Will

Reactions: Sid
Welcome, William, and thanks for your service. Please check out the Military Barefoot & Minimalist Running forum as well, if you haven't already.

Reactions: William rivera
Welcome to the club, Will. I did basic training at Knox many years ago. Same story with me - worn out old soldier. I've been BFR for 2 years now, as it's the only way I can run with no cartilege left in my joints. I work as a defense consultant at Fort Bragg now, where I generate a lot of odd Airborne looks running BF. Glad to have you with us, brother. Just take your transition slowly and methodically, listening closely to your feet when they tell you to take a break. I pushed too hard early, adopting Vibram Five Fingers so I could keep my pace and distance close to that which I had earned over 25 years of running; I bought myself a stress fracture in the middle of my left foot (3rd metatarsal head). Feel free to learn from my stupidity so you can avoid the mine I stepped on. Thank you for serving. Hooah!

Welcome to the board.

I work at Fort Campbell as a social worker. I agree with Phil about taking it easy. I've heard far too many stories from clients about guys who went out running and did way too much too soon.

I also feel you on the Army lifestyle wearing your body out. My Hubby shrunk around 2 inches due to all the jumps he made in the 9 years he was in.

Reactions: Phil Hart