New from MN

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Becky, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Becky

Becky
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Hi, I've been trying to barefoot run for the past 2 years. I'm mostly here to be inspired by others and learn more! I can only get to 3 miles because I put shoes on for the winter ( and dont run as much), then have to start over in the spring. This time I am going to try my best to train through winter.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Welcome, Becky! A lot of folks have the same dilemma. Minnesota is one of those places that is particularly hard to run barefoot during the winter, so good for you for not wanting to give up altogether but give next winter a try.

It can be done with patience. We have a Winter Challenge that might possibly help you get some winter barefoot miles in too with a lot of friendly people to guide you, but just don't push it beyond what is safe. Slowly and in the right conditions, you can acclimate your feet to the cold. :coldfeet: <--- That's a cold barefoot smiley. So cute!

Have you joined the Minnesota Chapter here yet?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Welcome! As a fellow Minnesotan (who now despises running in shoes and on treadmills...), I truly do understand the whole "having to start over every spring" challenge. :mad:

One of the things I'm hoping to do to help me with this is to find at least one other running partner (barefoot or otherwise) somewhere in the metro and get together for an informal 5K-ish once week (like Sat or Sun mornings). I figure this would help motivate me to get out more during the week in between.

I know Mill-City Running in Minneapolis does their Wed Evening run and had no issue with the idea of someone running barefoot when I asked a while ago (at your own risk of course), but I can't count on being able to make it from work by their scheduled start times...:(

4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

What about a gym with an indoor track to keep your feet conditioned, as long as they allow it, of course?

5. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

TJ, I've looked. Unfortunately, very few fitness places up here have indoor tracks anymore, and every one I contacted said no (and for the usual gamut of "reasons").

At some point, I'm either just going to have to move to a warmer climate, or "suck it up" and figure out how to deal with running in shoes in the colder weather here (lack of traction on ice/snow and insulated/waterproof uppers are kind of a necessity for dealing with the slush/wet snow...).

Though I did find one place that allowed me to run on the treadmills barefoot there, due to my new work schedule/commute, I haven't had the time to take advantage of it... :(

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  6. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

You might have to set aside the time. That's cool that you found a gym that would allow barefoot running on their treadmills. That doesn't happen too often.

7. BareFootHeath

BareFootHeath
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Canada

Same dilemma for me, lots of fluctuations in temperatures and conditions. I found that using Insulated Vibram Trek Ascents extended my outdoor possibilities. I won’t say they’re the perfect solution but they did allow me opportunities to get out and enjoy the benefits of minimalism. I ‘waterproofed’ them but upon reflection I don’t see much for benefit doing that- feet sweat and if you get ankle deep in slush/wet snow/water whatever you’re trying to keep out comes in anyway. I was able to wear the Insulated Vibrams (with Injinji socks) down to -15C/5F with reasonable comfort if conditions were good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

TJ, I agree - you don't find many of those. Unfortunately, the new job has turned a 10 minute commute to the better part of an hour each direction, so trying to find the time to get out and run (and still doing everything else on my plate) has become quite challenging. That being said, with the warmer weather and longer days arriving, it should help with finding the time.

9. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

BFH- Unfortunately, the new VFF designs aren't as compatible with my feet as their earlier designs were, and the Trek series just don't fit comfortably.

I have been eyeing up a pair of the Xero hikers though, as they're an over-the ankle style and apparently quite water-resistant (though not insulated). My only real concern is the minimal tread they have (same as the Prio and Hana) - should be fine on asphalt, but I have my doubts about them on snow and ice.

10. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Well then, cut out some sand paper in the shape of your feet, and stuff them on top of your shoes' soles! Ha! Not funny, I know. :oops:

11. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

6" of snow last night and more on the way (Yes, in April...) - maybe I *should* have ordered those Xero hikers.. o_O