New from MI... HELLO!

khyricat

Barefooters
Jan 14, 2011
Hi..

I am an OLD runner (ran marathons in the late 80's and early 90's) who gave up running due to injuries. I tore a tendon in my ankle more than once, and had all kinds of foot, ankle, and knee problems. I have tried to get back to running many times since and always had to bow out due to pain issues. This time around on the suggestion of some friends (one a PT and one who teaches Massage Therapists) I tried barefoot running.. and so far I feel wonderful. Don't know if I'll make super long distances, but I am past any distance I hit trying to get back to shoe running.

I also recently changed careers. I went from working with computers to being a registered dietitian. I am keeping up with a lot of the nutritional side of stuff related to running as I get more and more involved in it even though I work in the clinical and not sports med world.

I have preferred being barefoot to shoes my entire life (well that or handknit wool socks!). I am a knitter and make myself socks as well as other gear. I should have thought about barefoot running years ago- I used to finish a race and off would come the shoes to stretch the feet and walk barefoot!

Amie in MI

Welcome Amie,I'm also an old

Welcome Amie,

I'm also an old Michigan BFRunner, but I only started running a year ago.

I had attempted taking up running many times in the past, but always failed in the first weeks due to

running related injuries. Finaly the concept of running barefoot on hard surfaces made sense to me (I had tried rubberized track, grass, and beach barefoot running all unsuccesfully, but had never run oin paved surfaces longer than one lap around the block).

The folks in this group are great, they gave me the motivation to train for my first race, a 5K last May in Grand Rapids, and outdoor hard surface barefoot running has replaced my other activities as my primary competitive sport now.

Too bad this morning once again looks like outdoor running unfriendly here in Southeast MI.

I hate the treadmill, but you gotta do what you gotta do here in the Winter Wonder Land.

Amie, welcome!  I'm a young

Amie, welcome! I'm a young Michigan runner and looking forward to hearing your opinions on all the diet-related threads that get going here. I'm something of am amateur dietitian, though I only have one client...me.

Not so committed to being barefoot as much myself, and had a wonderful run in my VFFs this morning with all the fresh snow.

I'm just a wimp Art, remember

I'm just a wimp Art, remember I almost was going to skip Fifth-Third because of 34 degree temps at the start with heavy rain and strong wind. That was with not even a trace of snow!

Maybe it's time I oder a pair of RunaMocs Chocolate and give it a go.

I wore real shoes today to shovel the snow and though my feet did stay warm

they hurt like he11!

thanks guys.. So far no

thanks guys.. So far no barefeet outside, but no minimalist shoes either. just running indoors. looking at options for shoes- but not VFF's due to scar tissue) mostly because I live on a dirt road in SE MI that is never plowed or salted, so I am running on ice if I go outside before spring.. that and my tendency to have circulation issues = no barefeet outside until it warms up around here... but I am looking forward to really running barefooted.

khyricat wrote:.... because I

khyricat said:
.... because I live on a dirt road in SE MI that is never plowed or salted, so I am running on ice if I go outside before spring.. ... but I am looking forward to really running barefooted.

Amie's post's final word reminds me of what some midwestern barefooters do to occupy their time in the "off" season.

I don't mean to imply that the author is a wimp when it comes to snowfooting, he does hike all winter outdoors barefoot in Ohio!. Some of his other recent blog entrys have the pics and stories to prove it.

http://societyforbarefootliving.wordpress.com/2010/12/26/barefoot-or-barefooted/

Welcome, again Amie.  I

Welcome, again Amie. I posted a reply in one of your other posts.

Yes, very cool!

Yes, very cool!

Welcome Amie.  I am another

Welcome Amie. I am another over the hill runner in Mid Michigan. I also ran my first marathon in the 80's pre chip timing. Enjoy the site and the comradery.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11

Latest posts