New from Illinois!

BDrunChicago

Barefooters
Mar 16, 2013
Palos Heights, Il
I am slowly working my way towards barefoot running, as I have occasionally run without shoes (beaches and grass trails) but since most of my runs are on local asphalt paths, I have been using FF Vibrams for almost two years. I'd lime to do more BF running but when I recently pulled a healthy piece of glass out of one of my Vibrams I realized that without them I would have been in the ER! I realize that I need to work up to a level of comfort so any words of wisdom helps!

Non running I usually wear Merrel gloves or another pair of casual vibrams, but prefer flip flops (Sole) however living near Chicago the weather becomes a factor. I am still astounded on the looks and comments that I get, especially how concerned people are about my comfort! I am 57 and have never had a foot problem. Professionally, at work, I need to wear socks and more traditional shoe (preferring Dansko) but can't wait till end of day.

Reactions: OdiarAmor
Welcome!

Welcome!
I've being running BF for four years and have never stepped on a piece a glass...yet.
Like Phil say, your eyes become more focus when BF running.

Reactions: Phil Hart
Welcome indeed! Hope you can take advantage of some nice spring weather and ditch the shoes, if even for a short run.

I agree with Phil's comment re stepping on stuff. Once the shoes are gone, you will necessarily pay more attention to where you step. That's not to say that you won't ever get anything embedded in your foot (speaking from personal experience), but you'll more likely be surprised at how rarely it happens. Get that proprioception working for you and you'll be good to go!