new bfr

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Rebecca, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Rebecca

Rebecca
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Tennessee

Hi to everyone! I'm new and not very good at using posts and blogs. So forgive me if I don't use the correct lingo.

I started using my VFFs about three weeks ago and now cannot even put my running shoes on without my feet hurting. So I don't think I can go back to them at this point. I believe I'm close to running 2 miles in my VFFs but I've also been doing some barefoot on the soccer fields. I am sore but not tremendously sore. I feel soreness in my calves and in my lower back. Is this normal?

I feel really alone in this whole barefoot thing. Any advice for me at this point?

Also, I am 10 months post op from my second total hip replacement onmy left side, due to hip dysplasia that I was unaware of until my hip went out. My surgeon said I could run 3 to 5 miles twice a week.Ihave worked back up to 3 miles strong in my shoes so no probelems with my hip but I have not called to ask his advice on running barefoot. I'm afraid he will say "NO" without learning more about it and then I will feel guilty. Is this incorrect thinking on my part. I really feel like my body likes using my feet better. I have more balance and strength with just little things like loading and unloading my kids in the car. I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it felt and then share it with him on my year checkup. The main reason for me starting all this was the idea of being kinder to my body by going barefoot/minimal.

Thoughts?

Rebecca

2. runjeffro

runjeffro
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Tennessee

Welcome to barefoot running. I am new to barefoot running myself (May 2010), but I have read a lot and I run several days a week completely barefoot. I recommend Barefoot Ken Bob's site

http://therunningbarefoot.com/?page_id=525

I learn something new every time I read these pages. I would also recommend going completely barefoot, but go slow. Walking barefoot on pavement or sidewalks, and running on grass. I started off by running 2 miles barefoot and had some major blisters to deal with, but I slowed down after that.

I ran a 5k a couple weeks ago completely barefoot, and it was amazing. Not the fastest time, but I was the only barefoot runner.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature