New Barefoot Rookie From Wisconsin

Mrizzo94

Barefooters
Sep 17, 2011
Hi there everyone. This place looks like an awesome place to begin my adventure as a bare footer! I recently decided I would begin my life as a bare foot runner because I have heard rumors that it will help me with my form. I'm also hoping it helps relieve the occasional pain in my knees.

I'm currently a Senior in High School and I can run a mean 5K in shoes.

Just ran a 16:23.7 5K at the University of Wisconsin - Parkside Cross Country Course.

Look forward to meeting most of you on here!

Mr. Izzo:Welcome to the

Mr. Izzo:

Welcome to the crew. This is a great group of folks to have as a reference and a pool of advisors. Barefoot running (BFR) can indeed do wonders for your form, joint pain, and the lifelong sustainability of your running. And dang, you are fast. I used to be fast; now I'm old and worn out. But I can still run BF. I'm an old soldier who wore down all of my joints, but particularly wore all of the cartilege completely out of my right hip running traditional heel-striking, long-striding and had the options of a hip replacement or no more running. I chose option 3, which is BFR. If I run 3 miles traditionally today, I'll be limping for 2 weeks. If I run 5 miles BF (which I'll be doing 6 times this week), I'll feel fine and continue to stay healthy and strong. I'm not fast anymore, but at least I can run now and should be able to continue doing so for another 50 years as far as I can tell.

Suggestions to successfully take up BFR:

1. Learn good form correctly and burn it into muscle memory before going all-out BF.

2. Take plenty of time to built up your plantar (sole) skin as well as all of your feet's connecting tissues and musculature that you don't use in shoes. Go barefoot as much as you can, and over as many different surfaces as you can.

3. You're very young and thus still very resilient, but BFR is very different, and you can hurt yourself doing too much too soon (TMTS). Listen to your body's feedback, and ask lots of questions here and of any BFRers you can find locally (try this site's Wisconson state chapter forum). I ran hard for 25 years myself and coached others; I stress fractured my left foot 30 days into transitioning by doing too much too soon. BFR is radically different than traditional running (which is why I can still do it with no cartilege left).

4. Be especially careful as you go back and forth between shoes and BF. I ended up with a left big toe "blacktoe" by running barefoot-like in traditional shoes during my transition. I only did it once, but that's all it took.

5. Enjoy running barefoot - it's lots more fun (at least for me) than running shod.

I'll keep those things in

I'll keep those things in mind and thank you for the advice.

My goal for now is going to be to walk a mile BF for the rest of the month at least 4 times a week. I'm still in Cross Country season so won't begin actually running barefoot until I graduate in June. I hope to at least try a 5K on Thanksgiving in Prarie Du Chien, Wisconsin.

Whenever I run in shoes I plan to continue my normal workout schedule that my coach gives me:

Mon: Workout (intervals)

Tue: 45-50min Distance

Wed: Workout (speed work)

Thur: 35-40min Distance/Pre-meet (varies depending on if I have a Friday or Saturday Meet)

Fri: Pre-meet/Meet

Sat: Meet/30min Distance

Sun: 30min Distance/50-60min Distance/Off Day

Welcome!  Glad to have you

Welcome! Glad to have you hear.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts