New 1/2 Marathon PR!

The Ramzev

Chapter Presidents
Jun 14, 2010
Milford, DE
I ran the Caesar Rodney 1/2 marathon in Wilmington, DE yesterday. It was a chilly day and the course was very hilly, but I managed to run a PR by almost a minute. Previous PR was 1:46:50, yesterday I ran a 1:45:58. This is the oldest countinuously run road race in the United States, it was the 50th running.

Pic from the race, I'm in red.

CR Half.jpg

I had some great comments during this race. Funny how people assume you are deaf if you're running barefoot, and you can't hear them talking about you.

One guy said that he felt like a sissy wearing shoes.
A women said that it's guy like me who can ruin her business, I assume she sells shoes.
A guy said that at least I don't run naked. Kinda of an odd comment, but ok.

Probably around 7 - 10 people asked me about it, why I was barefoot and how long. A couple asked about the transition. Basically, all positive conversations.

One of the volunteers yelled "There's Barefoot Dave!" I guess I'm getting a bit famous around here?

Awesome on the PR........ I too am jealous, I'd like to just get in under 2 hours once. I guess since I've only ran two half marathons in my entire life, one shod and one unshod, i've got some time.

Sounded like a good time all around.

Way to go Ram! congrats!

I didn't know you were so damn fast, Rambo! Good for you. It looks really cold, and you looked really bundled up. Did you notice if that helped your feet stay warmer?

Reactions: happysongbird
I really didn't have any cold issues with my feet. I did about a one mile warm up jog barefoot, then I put on socks while I waited for the race to start. At the start the road felt really cold, but as I warmed up so did my feet.
I was concerned a bit on Saturday, we had a lot of rain and I didn't want a cold AND wet road surface for the race. Luckly, even though it was cold, the sun was out so the road dried up fairly well before the start. There were a couple areas in the shade where the road was still wet, that was cold, but mainly on the top of my feet from the splashing puddles.

I remember that bundling up my core and my head when I was running on the very cold ground really helped my feet to stay warm. It's a good bit of advice for new folks.

That's true. It's also important to keep your feet warm as long as possible before the race, I keep socks on righ up until gun time; this also adds to the drama, you get a lot of looks and comments when you're ready to go and you pull off your socks!

Congratulations Ramzev ! Really great time for a hilly course.

Probably around 7 - 10 people asked me about it, why I was barefoot and how long. A couple asked about the transition. Basically, all positive conversations.

Yes, I had the same experience on my last HM, people are curious more, things are changing, a couple more years...half of the runners will be barefoot at any race. :barefoot:

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I had some great comments during this race. Funny how people assume you are deaf if you're running barefoot, and you can't hear them talking about you.

So true! I wish I could remember all the comments I hear during races and write them down. So hilarious, some positive, and some just not good. Awesome race! I have a half in June, and looking to hit a solid 1:45:00.

Oooooh! That sounds like a challenge there, Rambo! Care to respond? Hee. Just rocking the boat. :hilarious:

That's true. It's also important to keep your feet warm as long as possible before the race, I keep socks on righ up until gun time; this also adds to the drama, you get a lot of looks and comments when you're ready to go and you pull off your socks!

Maybe the guy with the "glad he kept his clothes on..." comment was concerned that you were going to keep right on taking clothes off after your sox came off.

Great job, though, and you will certainly run faster as your running costume lightens up through the spring.

And another pic...I had my pinky out so I didn't get kicked out for making a finger gun.
I think I made the cops' day

CR Half 2.jpg

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts