Nerve impingement/calf strain

jschwab

Barefooters
Jun 16, 2010
SOOOOO, this year has been a super bust. After getting a sports hernia and not even missing one race two years ago, I seem to be plagued by dumb stuff this year. I overtaxed my core in June (kettlebells) and developed a severe PSOAS strain. That eventually got fxed by the chiro, but my calf strain got really, really bad. This is a chronic injury that I've had since I started running and it gets worse and better and I just have to baby it. After the BRS running clinic where I was sprinting, it just got debilitating and the coach we used suggested that it was not really my calf but a nerve impingement. The chiro had identified some lower back stuff when my PSOAS was acting up, but stopped treatment to treat the PSOAS (because I didn't believe him that my lower back was messed up since I could not feel anything). It seems that the lower back was causing the chronic calf/achilles/heel pain? It's getting better with disc decompression therapy and I can now run in the shallow end of the pool. Any suggestions for other therapies or exercises to help it along, or is this just a waiting game? I'm excited to finally have an answer for the calf problems, but this seriously sucks that I am missing the whole running season.

Do you stretch the calf at

Do you stretch the calf at all? I had a calf strain a while back and I was told that I needed to stretch it along with rest. It turned out that the stretching kept tearing the muscle fibers which never let my calf heal fully. It took two months of this before I stopped stretching it and, amazingly a week later I was able to run and haven't had any pain since. Not in the slightest. It's just a thought as I know this helped me heal. Good luck and hope you bounce back quickly!

Nick, it turns out the pain

Nick, it turns out the pain has nothing to do with calf strain at all. It's nerve pain caused by an impingement in my back - stretching, not stretching would not make a difference at all.

Jschwab, The back needs

Jschwab,

The back needs STABILITY NOT FLEXIBILITY

A couple videos worth the watch:

for simple spine "stability"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=033ogPH6NNE

and for a real in depth 50 minute video on the origins and solutions for back pain from back guru and author Esther Gokhale. She gets is and can really teach. i use some her her simple principles with patients daily. This is worht the 50 minutes...trust me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yYJ4hEYudE

her book is worth the read too....it will change how you look at the human back and movement

http://www.amazon.com/Steps-Pain-Free-Back-Solutions-Shoulder/dp/0979303605

Try some of this yourself and enjoy a stable and pain free day,

Mark

Thanks, Dr. Mark, I will take

Thanks, Dr. Mark, I will take a look. I do intuitively feel like my lower back and pelvis suffer from too much movement and instability. I had five pregnancies in four years, one of them resulting the in birth of a 10lb, 10oz baby. While all went well, I have had a lot of instability in my torso since, the the sports hernia being the main yowza problem. Are you saying you think the decompression therapy doesn't make sense? I'm running and doing other workouts in the pool. I am somewhat skeptical of the pool and the idea of reducing impact - I think reducing impact creates instability.

Jschwab,the pool work is

Jschwab,

the pool work is good for enducance , range of motion, and general strength....but not stability. so yes you need to do some stability work with low impact while you recover. the exercises on the first video as well as standing on one leg to balance are good and safe.

cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the response! I

Thanks for the response! I acquired my sports hernia in the pool, so I'm always a little wary over overrelying on it. This is superhelpful.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test