need form advice for quick starts/stops/turns?

patandchickens

Barefooters
Jan 10, 2012
Hi all, I hope you do not mind me asking this here even though it is not about the type of running most members of this forum do... I am looking for suggestions on best (injury/pain-preventing) technical form for stopping quickly, accellerating quickly, and quick changes of direction.

Reason being, last year I took up dog agility (dog does course of jumps etc off-leash with handler running along directing him) and immediately discovered that the limiting factor for me is in fact HANDLER agility, lack thereof :p

I have never been seriously athletic to begin with and over the past 10 years have become mostly a flabby overweight couch potato. (Middle aged stay at home mom blah blah blah). In particular, while I used to walk several hrs at a time most days when I was younger, I have always loathed actual running (sorry!) and especially sprint-type running. So, of course I had to go and get interested in something now that in significant part *hinges on* running like mad for like a dozen yards in one direction, sharp stop and/or turn, sprint off in other direction, lather rinse repeat. Courses are only maybe 1 min long, but they sure add up during the span of a practice session.

When I started this, I immediately developed major PF and other sorenesses, to the point where from about April to October of this past year I had quite a lot of trouble just hobbling in daily life and mostly sat around, despite NSAIDS and ice and such. (Kept doing agility with dog, of course :p) Then as a last-ditch wild whim one day I tried practicing in the backyard with the dog barefoot, despite being sure it would hurt much worse than with shoes... I just wanted to be able to say I'd tried *everything*... and darnit if it didn't feel WONDERFUL. And I run CORRECTLY barefoot -- in shoes I am a massive heel-striker and overstrider, but barefoot or in socks I don't do that at all and it doesn't hurt at all.

So since October I have been barefoot as much as possible (I live an hour north of Toronto and although it's been a freakishly warm winter, it is still Canada, LOL) and have made enough progress revamping my running form that I can actually do a few miles of slow jogging in traditional running shoes (b/c weather) without pain, which is pretty a first for me since high school. In fact I'm actually starting to enjoy it enough to want to try some (barefoot) running on local trails a few times a week when spring comes...! I have to wear boots for most outdoor activities right now due to the weather, but fortunately weekly dog- agility class is in an indoor horse arena where I can run sockfoot.

The thing is, while I have found much valuable information on footstrike etc aspects of form for "typical" straight-line distance-type running, especially here on thsi forum, and it's helped me a LOT, the fast stops/starts/turns on agility courses are still beating my feet up more than I would like. (Also I feel like if I were more efficient I could be faster, which would make my dog go faster).

So, does anyone have any suggestions for proper body use and technical form for those type movements (sudden stops/starts/turns)? Any advice MUCH appreciated,

Pat

I can't give you advice, but

I can't give you advice, but I can tell you this: everytime I go out running, I do at least a quarter mile of dodging around pretend rocks, reversing and running backwards, etc. It's not hard.

However, turning sharply... that is tough on the soles. At least for me. But if you're barefoot, you're feet are going to give you the feedback you need.

the best way I've found to

the best way I've found to make an abrupt change in direction (a.k.a a cut or stop) is to briefly, rapidly increase your cadence with small steps (a.k.a stutter step) immediately before you make the cut/stop. I've found this helps to prevent slipping if you're playing sports barefoot on grass (or if you happen to be in cleates from rolling your ankle). I learned that technique from playing ultimate frisbee. For accelleration, i've found that a momentary full-body forward lean helps to get your feet moving quickly underneath you (essentially a sprint accelleration). Barefoot sprinting form is very different from typical barefoot running form- they're two different activities. like bf kean said, look up more information on sprinting.