NEBRASKA/Iowa/Missouri runners! Please read!

Go_Blue

Chapter Presidents
Oct 19, 2010
Folks,

The Nebraska-Omaha chapter will be doing a run at Mahoney State Park in Ashland, NE at 9:30am on 2 June (Saturday). I will be scoping out the park this weekend and will update with specific meet up location. The Omaha World-Herald will be there to get some video of barefoot/minimalist runners, and would like to interview people about their experiences if possible. I've spoken to them already, and they are very interested to see as many people as possible come out. If not, my VP and I will have to be especially interesting. ;)

This is our first exposure with the media, and we're viewing it as a real chance not only to educate the general public, but also to gain some interest with the chapter.

If you'd like to join us, please let me know by responding to this thread. If the time doesn't work, please say so and we'll see if we can readjust (the two people going thus far are flexible). Would definitely love to see anyone from the surrounding chapters join us if you're interested! Thank you everyone!

Links:
https://www.facebook.com/ETMahoneySP
https://www.facebook.com/BRSNebraskaOmaha

~Lindsey
President
Nebraska-Omaha ChapterBRS

I'm excited for your event Lindsey. To get the word out even more, be sure to add this info to the Calendar and then copy the link from that Calendar event to your Nebraska-Omaha Chapter (and Nebraska-Alliance, Iowa, and Missouri if you want). Share on their Facebook pages as well. We are really close to getting the module on the site that will forward an email for you to your Chapter/s, but until then, would you like a list of your members email addresses, so you can contact them directly? I can send a note to the other two Chapters if you wish.

Also, I have been trying to reach you about the Nebraska Facebook page. You have the old logo and old info on the page, and it needs to be updated. I need you to add me (Barefoot Tj) and Kate Kift as Admins to the Facebook page. Please let me know once this has been done, so I can mark it off my long list of things to do.

TJ,

Yes please, I would like a list of email addresses. I sent out PMs to all members, but if they don't check the site often, they'll never get it. Any other exposure we could get would be great. I'll do the calendar; it's already been posted in the chapter.

Please see my PM regarding the other business.

Okay, you should have the Nebraska Chapter members' email addresses in your email.

If you sent a PM to all of your members, then they don't need to actually check the site to read it. The message you included in the PM will show in its entirety in their email. Good idea for you to have done that, until we get the site-wide email notifications module installed, then you will be able to just send to the group as a whole.

Oh, and please do share a report along with some pictures of how the day went. I would love to put it on the home page.

That email is hung in my Outbox, Lindsey. I will keep an eye on it and keep trying to send from my other email accounts too. Sorry for the delay.

Sent.

Thought I'd post a quick follow-up:

This run was GREAT! The reporter interviewed clmcap21 and me on Wednesday, so this morning's media day turned into a photo shoot instead. After a quick meet and greet with Everglade (thanks for coming out! :) ), we spent a few minutes working with the photographer to get the shots he wanted. Lots of action shots, so I'm looking forward to how they came out. He was somewhat curious about barefoot running, but didn't ask a lot of questions. He was a little shocked to find that we'd be running on the concrete path around the park. The confused look he shot me was actually priceless, lol. Everglade had the shining moment, because when the photographer mentioned he used to run, but no longer did because of knee issues, she chimed right in with "Well there's your problem!" We all had a good laugh, but the photographer didn't bite on the invite to take off his shoes and try it. Come to think of it, neither did the reporter. Hmm...

When he was done taking pictures, the three of us stepped off to enjoy an easy run around the park. We couldn't have asked for a better day! It was a beautiful, cloudless sky, slight breeze, and hadn't gotten hot yet. Truly perfect conditions. I had a great time trotting along with my two barefoot buddies, chatting about various aspects of barefoot running and other topics. We ran around the inner circle of the park, which only took about 30 minutes. Overall, a very pleasant run. Funny moment number two came after the run: we were walking along the same path (barefoot) to cool out, and a little boy saw us then exclaimed to his family, "HEY THOSE PEOPLE DON'T HAVE SHOES ON!" Certainly something we had all heard many many times, but I thought it was especially fun coming from a 3 year old.

I want to thank clmcap21 and Everglade again for coming out this morning. We were a small group, but I think we represented Nebraska barefoot running well. I had a great time, and am really looking forward to the next run. This park will see more use, as it has quite a lot to offer.

We forgot to get a group photo, but here is a shot of where we ran. Will hopefully get photos from the newspaper next week.

IMAG0257.jpg

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Sounds perfect. Love that blue sky. And you all did a great job of representing Nebraska! I am looking forward to the article and photos too!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts