Near Black Out After Running 15 miles

happysongbird

Chapter Presidents
Jul 1, 2011
Nampa, Idaho
dailyimprovisations.com
This could be nothing. It could just be "me." I do have a history of low blood pressure and dizzy spells every few years (not constantly or with any predictable regularity) that leave me susceptible to gravity. But I've never had it happen after a run before.

I also have a history of heart palpitations for 30 years that I know are brought on by changes in pressure, i.e. getting up and down to talk to small children close to the ground in a sudden motion, or sound waves in the movie theater. We all have our problems. :)

True, this was the longest run by time and distance in almost a year. It certainly wasn't in the warmest conditions. And I wasn't pushing my pace. I was running my comfortable pace and only aiming to increase my time by 10%, which I did. I should also add that I was drinking my slightly salted lemonade mix, which I drink all the time. I drank both bottles of it gradually over the course of the run, never feeling more than mild thirst. This is just a little more than what I have been drinking on my other "long" runs, which this was a little longer than, so it all looks right percentage wise.

It wasn't particularly warm, just around 60°F when I started and 69°F when I got back to the car. It was a bit humid for Idaho, with the sun shining, but weird occasional little rain drops. I got a few on my sunglasses, so could verify that's what it was. I wasn't pushing my pace or sprinting in any way for the last lap, which I have done before for fun. Maybe I need to run faster at the end to raise my bp??!!

When I slowed to a walk, I felt something on the bottom of my foot, so bent down to brush it away. Then, after a few more steps, I suddenly felt quite dizzy and sunk immediately to a squat, hoping I wasn't going to pass out on the path. There were plenty of people fishing and walking the pond loop, but no one right where I was or that I could see at the moment. It was kind of a concerning moment. Of course, I was also thinking it would be very bad PR for barefoot running...

In a few seconds (I wasn't watching my watch), I felt up to trying to stand and made it back to the car at a slow, comfortable walk, but am still just a touch light headed. I have eaten lunch now, and drunk more water. Will probably make more lemonade, too, but drink it "full strength." Ha.

So, that's my story.

Reactions: Sid
Probably stood up too fast. After running your heart rate was still higher than usual and then you bent over to remove something from your foot. All that blood rushed to your head. Then when you stood up the blood rushed out a little too fast. I have had this happen once in a while, especially after running far or fast, laying down on the bed, and then standing up too fast. I usually just bend over or sit back down until the feeling goes away.

Reactions: happysongbird
Wow, that kind of stuff can be scary, since you already have low blood pressure and dizzy spells.

You've really been making some great progress athletically, and it sounds like you have higher aspirations.

I don't think that it would be unreasonable for you to have it checked out. I believe that they even have some devices that can monitor you while running.

If you get the all clear, then you wouldn't have to worry! :D

I don't think that it would be unreasonable for you to have it checked out. I believe that they even have some devices that can monitor you while running.

If you get the all clear, then you wouldn't have to worry! :D

It might not be unreasonable, but I have been attached to heart monitors 24/7 a few times after such incidents during normal daily living when I first noticed "symptoms" about 30 years ago. Nothing happens while I am on them. There was the one time I was kept in the hospital for a week (many years ago) and they found occasional arrhythmias, but since it was a cardiac floor I worked on as a nurse at the time, I was pretty aware that they find some sort of arrhythmias on just about anyone they hook up to a monitor in the hospital. Even the doctor said there was nothing significantly dangerous about them. I think they "kept me" more as a liability issue, since I was working when I had that dizzy spell and almost fell over (someone caught me.) You have to admit that I've lived a pretty active life in spite of them.:happy: Running barefoot and some of the distances may be newer to me, but being active isn't.

I just posted the post running experience here, thinking that maybe other people had experienced something similar at the end of a long run (long for them). I tend to think spoonerweb is on the right track, that it may have been the sequence of events. His relating his experience puts my mind at ease, confirming what I thought it might be, but just wanted some input about. My husband has since joked that maybe I need more stress in my life to raise my blood pressure. Funny man. I get stomach cramps when I'm not dealing with stress well. :nailbiting:

I do thank you for your concern, though. Just don't want anyone to be overly concerned.:sorry:

I have nothing to add except I hope it's nothing serious.

Okay, since you are a cardiac nurse, I don't have to tell you that heart disease is the number one cause of mortality, and that technology and detection has changed a lot in the past 30 years.

Having lost Blanco Caballo all too recently, reminds us that we're all human. You are an integral part of BRS, and we do care about you!