Naked piggies in Toronto, Ontario!

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Vanessa Runs, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Vanessa Runs

Vanessa Runs Barefooters
    1. Canada

Hi all!

Intros: I'm Vanessa, age 28. Journalism grad working as an editor at a natural health magazine. Also going to school to become an RHN(Registered Holistic Nutritionist). Born in El Salvador, now Canadian (came when I was 3), and now a barefoot runner! For more personal info and/or a glimpse into my soul you can visit vanessaruns.com. It's a blog I update daily.

Been running since late 2007 and started experimenting with the barefoot thing in 2009. Skipped the winter, then ran a marathon (in shoes) and my next goal is to run a barefoot marathon. I bought my first pair of VFFs a couple of weeks ago although I do love them on cold days, I prefer running barefoot.

Progress is good so far, I'm working hard at it. Blister count: 2. I figure it's ok because I DID get 2 black toenails from my shoes at my marathon, so it evens out.

Current plans:

* Whitby 10 miler at the end of November 2010

*Barefoot half marathon in Toronto, May 2011

You'll also be proud to know that I inspired at LEAST two people (that I'm aware of) to start running barefoot with two blog posts I wrote (http://t.co/quQCqZR and http://t.co/F9cwErV). ONE of them is Canadian! Yay! (Winnipeg) She runs barefoot now all the time, she's like my little barefoot disciple. Just wanna pinch her cheeks! (I'm gonna make her join here)

Not sure how I'll get through this (my first!) winter. But I did order a bracelet that says "HARDEN THE FUCK UP" .. That should do it.

2. Barefoot YOW

Barefoot YOW Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. International

Hello Vanessa ... Welcome to the group. You've been at this barefoot running longer than most of us. We can certainly profit from your experience. You ran with Shack in the marathon?

Great Blog ... sorry to hear that some weirdo contact you. That is just creepy. Oh, and I'm insulted that they didn't like mine... Oh, wait I don't have a blog yet.

There seems to be a handful of us within about 4 hours. I think that is a good sign that we can arrange a meet up at some event in 2011.

Winter barefoot running will be a challenge.

Take care,

BF YOW (Rod)

3. Kittyk

Kittyk Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. Georgia
    3. Indiana

It is pretty exciting that you are all fairly close. It would be great if you guys managed to get together and have a party (cough) I mean run. :)

I'm just catching up on your Blog to Vanessa.. only really found out about it a couple of weeks ago (actually just after you ran the Marathon with Shacky). I'll get around to it I promise.. ;) Unfortunately I think I am about 3 weeks behind in "Life" :) I seem to be saying that most things these days!

Great to have you on board and I am sure there is lots of helpful hints you can tell us all. My contributions on barefooting seem to involve drinking alcohol whilst running :) I am sure your advice will be a lot more useful! :)

Nice to see some more faces

4. Kittyk

Kittyk Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. Georgia
    3. Indiana

Wow... lots of smilies in that reply. Think I need to tone down the grinning before my face aches!

5. jameskulchyk

jameskulchyk Barefooters
    1. Canada

Heh Vanessa, welcome! The winter is gonna be a challenge...good luck with the VFFs. I'm about to put on mine for the first time since April...but I just got a pair of Terra Plana EVO 2s....so I'll test drive both over the gd winter....and I'll do real barefooting on the basement treadmill.....it's the first time I've ever seen the treadmill as a tool....cus I can go barefoot on it.

Very happy post Kitty.

Gottta go,

Jamie

6. Vanessa Runs

Vanessa Runs Barefooters
    1. Canada

Yep ran my first marathon with Shacky. He was a great pacer, we finished in 4:30. Not really convinced of my superior experience though!I started a while ago but it was on and off until after my marathon last month. Now I'm doing it almost daily.

7. Vanessa Runs

Vanessa Runs Barefooters
    1. Canada

All my advice is really just a regurgitation of things I've picked up from Shacky and a few other BF runners! Excited to be here though :) I really wish I had more people to run with.

8. Vanessa Runs

Vanessa Runs Barefooters
    1. Canada

I tried the treadmill for barefoot running and my feet get too hot :( Sometimes I'll go to an indoor track but mostly I try to suck it up as much as possible. Iwore socks once. Today I went running in the woods completely barefoot for over an hour. Cold but fun!