My wife's getting frustrated!

ewheeldrive

Barefooters
Jun 7, 2010
My wife is a great supporter of my barefooting. We live in a small town where she knows everyone and isn't embarrased when people say "we saw your husband running barefoot 8 miles from your house at 6:30a.m." In fact, I think she kinda digs me for it. My children are also big supporters, but not b/c I do it, it's definitley by nature. In fact, I'm more of a supporter of them and when I'm around, we are barefoot. By the way, my 4 year old daughter has the most amazing barefoot stride! Anyways, in the house, outside playing, doing yardwork, you name it, we are barefoot. Here in lies the problem. My wife will load up the car with our 6, 4, and 1 year old, to hit the usual stops, the market, store, etc. Only to realize upon there arrival, my 6 and 4 y.o. are not wearing shoes. Even when reminded to grab them before they leave. This happens often. It was cute and funny the first time, but I think its getting old for her. I personally keep sandals, shoes, flipflops in my car for myself if I'm going somewhere that requires me to be shod. Should I just stock pile our cars w/ something for our feet in case we need them? Should I more strictly enforce the shoe prison epidemic that I'm so adamantly against? Am I just a wacko? I don't know but I'm sure someone out there can relate.

I can perfectly relate as my

I can perfectly relate as my kids are the exact same age. My daughrt (the oldest) is pretty god about remembering shoes. My middle son likes to defy authority. I'm more than happy to let him express his independence by going barefoot. My youngest usually rides in the cart, so it's a non-issue thus far.

Usually at least one of them will have shoes. Sometimes we have some in the car, sometimes we don't. To date, nobody has said anything.

I do keep a pair of shoes in

I do keep a pair of shoes in my truck both for me and my daughter just in case. I forget her shoes all the time! But I think it would be a bigger problem for three kids. Maybe a tupperware bin with shoes in it in your trunk would be a good idea? Then you don't have shoes all over the back seat of your vehicle.

I'm a hardass about this one.

I'm a hardass about this one. When someone gives me crap at a store about the boys I respond very enthusiastically. If they still say no I leave and don't go back. Good thing I have convinced all the stores we regularly go to to allow us to be barefoot.

My wife on the other hand brings flips for them. They pretty much just stay in the bag though, because the places she shops at leave her alone.

So no, I don't think you should force them to wear shoes. You can always get those awesome throw away flips (don't throw them away though) from a pedicure place and throw them in the glovebox. They are tiny and will fit fine.

Something like this

http://cashdepartmentstore.com/Spa-Pedicure-Foam-Slippers-12-Pair/M/B0001M1IAI.htm

livebyfaith wrote:Here he is

livebyfaith said:
Here he is kicking it in high gear.

Wow, is that great form or what? Amazing how kids can run so perfect before they are ruined by the "correct way".

I think you should do what

I think you should do what ever you want.

There's nothing wrong with going barefoot where it is allowed. (I'm not talking about socially accepted.)

Keep an extra set of flip-flops for each of you in your car for those occasions where being barefoot is not allowed.

My children have the best form too. They love being barefoot all the time. Let's keep our children's good form in tact and promise now to never put them in shoes with an elevated heel. Maybe with the next generations, we can affect change by reducing the time and money spent at doctor's offices due to obesity and injuries. Promise?

I would stock up on 99cent

I would stock up on 99cent flip flops and just keep them in the car. I've had the same problem only my daughter was 12! We got to ensemble practice and she had no shoes :p She really didn't see what the big deal was, LOL.

Better yet, find some ugly embarrasing shoes (thrift shop will be good) and then they can either remember their own shoes or wear the icky ones lurking in the back of the car, LOL.

BTW, when you started running BF in our town, everyone was stopping me and saying, "Hey, there is another barefoot runner!" LOL Has the motor cycle sherrif chatted with you yet? He loved that I ran barefoot and always made a point of saying hello when he passed me on a run :) I sure do miss it there!

In my little rural town, I

In my little rural town, I got grief the other way around...

I was in the hospital for four days with my wife as she had our fourth little one (some fun barefoot stories around that event as well). The neighbors had our kids, and the comment was made to them a number of times that the kids they were with "couldn't be Nathan's because they have shoes on." Made me proud :)

Wendy - Haven't talked to the

Wendy - Haven't talked to the sherrif yet but I'll say hello for you if I see him. There is another guys who's started running barefoot since the day he saw us in that race. He love's it and is helping spread the word. The city was blacktopping one of the roads this week and detoured a ton of traffic to my street. I ran by at least half mile of bumper to bumper traffic doing some barefoot tempo action. I'm sure that created a good buzz :)

I'm with ya, my kids (7yr,

I'm with ya, my kids (7yr, 5yr, 3yr) are never in shoes and I find us out often without shoes for them. I say then that they have to sit in the cart if they aren't wearing shoes in. I have started carrying a pair or two of flip flops in the car for each of us though, that should do the trick. Just have them take their shoes off in the car when they get home.

How about, "Don't tell

How about, "Don't tell mommy?"

My husband doesn't mind our kids being barefoot IN the house, but when they want to play outside, he will tell them to put their shoes on. I will say something along the lines of let them be children. If they get hurt, they'll learn by it. I've even been known to say to them, "Don't tell daddy?" when they've gone outside without their shoes on. Sssssh!

Thinking of which, my kids have come to me wanting kisses and bandages for all the boo-boos they've gotten on their hands and fingers from playing outside. Should we start making them wear gloves too?

Wendy, I'd be happy to be on

Wendy, I'd be happy to be on the newsletter. I got an email but didn't have a message in my in box though. Not sure what the deal is. Give it another shot and I'll let you know if I don't get it again.