My PF symptoms just disappeared...

BarefootGburg

Barefooters
Nov 7, 2011
About a week ago, I thought I was going to have to stop running. The pain in the arch of my right foot was significant during the times I was not running.

I did the thing you're not supposed to do, and kept pushing. Bad idea, right? I thought so. My left arch started aching a little, but I kept going anyway.

I had been studying the YouTube video by Dr. Mark Cucuzzella and noticed that his foot strike was quite a bit different than mine, that his heel is down VERY shortly after his forefoot lands. I started thinking about getting my heel down, and keeping my feet back a little more (behind me) also started running a little faster. Same high cadence, but the hip and knee propulsion he mentions result in longer strides, and more speed.

All the pain in my foot went away over the course of four runs. My right foot tightens just a little about van hour after my run, but it doesn't hurt at any other time.

I guess this really emphasizes how much proper form can help? I can't imagine that PF would get dramatically better on its own, after six months of moderate pain.

Now, if I can overcome the pain under my 2nd met on my right foot, I'll be good to go.

Gburg I've been experimenting along these same lines: very quick heel landing after forefoot landing and legs behind me much more than in the past. I've also mentioned elsewhere (caveat for repeating myself) that I started an extreme cardio program that incorporates a lot of yoga during breaks from high activity. There is also a lot of jumping with soft knees landings and I think that all of this might be strengthening the offending muscles that helped to cause the PF.

Please check in with your progress. There are many for whom the typical rolling/golf ball remedies just don't work all the way.

It seems to me that inactivity and being in the wrong footwear is more of a cause of PF than incorrect form. I had severe PF for 3 years due to a little extra weight and wearing stiff work boots with a heel all day long. It got better with more activity and disappeared completely with minimalist and barefoot running.

Hey Rick, have you thought of getting your boots re-soled with a flat sole? When I was in the Army I had all my combat boots re-soled to a flat sole which helped tremendously with several problems I was having.

Thanks Nick,
I have been able to do many of my farm jobs in sandals and min-shoes. Exceptions are welding, machinery work, and pesticides. I even worked a day in my old VFF treks. I hope OSHA isn't lurking on this site. I am actually much more aware of what I am doing now and have suffered far fewer injuries at work. The next boot I get, I will check into flat soles and also get them extra wide.

Well, mine started a month or so into barefoot running, and ended with a change to my form (and is still gone after about 15 miles).

I wear the same shoes to work that I've been wearing all along.

It seems to me that inactivity and being in the wrong footwear is more of a cause of PF than incorrect form. I had severe PF for 3 years due to a little extra weight and wearing stiff work boots with a heel all day long. It got better with more activity and disappeared completely with minimalist and barefoot running.

Glad you have had some success. Was your pain front, middle, or back of your arch? Mine was always right in front of the heel. It hurt in the morning and was the worst when I was driving. Back then I was running in regular shoes and tried the gel heel pads. Only made it worse. I wish I would have researched it back then.