My new wheels

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
Well not so new... actually after deciphering the assembly code on the headbadge it appears it celebrated its 28th birthday just yesterday on April 3rd (I just got it in the mail on the 2nd actually). I was told it was as an '88 (though the assembly code is 87), the fellow said he bought it from the original owner in '05 and mainly just looked good in his collection and only used it occasionally in good weather during his off season when he enjoyed the feel of steel on the road. He collected old bikes and said this one was basically one he kept on the wall with his collection. Its in far better shape than my other 2 '88 Schwinns so I believe him.

IMG_9100-1000.JPG
'87 Schwinn Prologue

IMG_9102-1000.JPG

Yeah I know this isn't any fancy new carbon fiber titanium bike you can pick up with your pinky (after you spend thousands of dollars) but for just getting into going fast for fun, well, it will do. And it shaved off about 5 lbs compared to my '88 LeTour. Comes in a little under 22 lbs as it sits there in the pic, not bad for vintage steel. I think I'd have to get a lot better before any nicer bike would actually make a difference anyhow.

I've never entered a bike race, never even owned a road bike until last year. But after last year with my old LeTour I do enjoy it, and thinking about entering my first race this year. There is a small duathlon in July, out in the country not too far from me that might make a good first time. And after a tune up and maybe new tires and a few odds n ends, this should make a nice inexpensive race bike to get me started at least. I've already put my Ergon barefoot friendly pedals on it.

Nice! I love the classicly styled steel road bikes. Easier to get a good body position on than the modern sloping top tube stuff. I keep on the lookout for a mid to late 90's Lemond steel frame to move all my parts to!

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Yep! And I know there are better ones out there, even in the Schwinn lineup seems the Paramount and Peloton where the top of the line. However they seem to have a very high collectors value and most I've seen in decent shape are $1-3k for an 80's model! That doesn't jive with me trying to get something nice for cheap so along came the Prologue which seems to be very underrated and misunderstood.

I don't know a whole lot about bike mechanics and what not, but for now I just plan on having it tuned up and I'll swap the tires and tubes. It came with Kenda road tires that I think you can find at wallmart for like $10. I'm sure the guy just put those on it to sell it. So I'm researching tires right now, good quality ones that what be good for training and racing. Something with good bang for buck that won't cost a fortune but still offer good performance. I spent probably a couple hours reading reviews today and so far I'm leaning towards Veloflex Masters. They come in gumwall which goes with the vintage bike, but can also get colored tread too and am thinking about getting red ones to match the bike. I'm thinking this will be a nice mix of modern and classic, unless the combo look terrible lol. I'll save my LeTour for the longer and recreational rides. Other than tires I'm not sure if I'll need to do anything else right away, I think its probably good enough for my use until I get a lot more serious.

That looks remarkably like my bike in my shed that I've had for about 35 years! Mine has a Raleigh badge on the front

Reactions: Tristan-OH

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts