My new bike!!!

Tristan - I first started out with my MTB and tried to make it more road friendly, i.e. like a hybrid. I put some 26x1.5" semi-slick tires on it, and replaced the old shock fork with a height-correct rigid fork. I also added bar ends inboard of the handlebar grips that simulate the "hoods" position of drop bars. It's a nice ride, but it was still geared as a MTB, and the frame is actually a touch small for me. So that's why I wanted to go the road bike route. And since I had already done the "purchased used off some guy" thing, I wanted to go new and get the whole professional fitting treatment.

Plus you can probably find some really good deals on 2012 models as the 2013's are coming in. I initially wanted to stay around $700-$800, but quickly found out that road bikes at that price point have junk components, i.e. Shimano 2300. Yuck. That is, unless you go the Bikes Direct route, but that's not the best idea unless you know what size you need. I upped my budget a little bit, and ended up getting this 2012 Felt with Shimano 105, MSRP $1349, for $900!

You can read here about my experiences shopping for a road bike (thread I started Saturday of last weekend when I first started shopping): http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/848154-I-may-be-buying-a-new-bike-tomorrow

And this is my "journal" thread for my "hybridized" KHS Alite 1000 MTB, that I started back in April when I first got back into cycling. I know a TON more about bikes than I did less than 6 months ago: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/812023-How-to-make-my-MTB-more-road-friendly

Get a really nice used '80's steel bike for $300-$500, or a new carbon for $2000-$10,000.

This is my bike.
bike.png

Since we're bringin' out the pictures....
IMG_0740.jpg

I picked up a Felt F80 about 6 years ago and upgraded the parts - I should have gone to the F90 for the same parts, but less money. Not having had to buy a bike for a period of 20+ years (thank you sponsor), let me say it was "sticker shock". I thought my camera equipment was expensive.

I got my eye on a new bike, which has some benefits like stability, cruise control, not having to shave one's legs, and I can put one of them "Respect My Authority!" ching-ching bells on it.
trike.jpg

Reactions: migangelo
heh I'm already thinking about my first upgrade for the Felt - different wheels that will save almost 2 pounds of rotational mass, for only $249!

Back when I had first bought my bike I upgraded the wheels and it was amazing how much faster and easier it was to ride. Not only did I reduce the overall weight of the bike but the bearings or whatever were smoother in the new wheels so they spun much easier which made me have to expend even less energy, which was greatly appreciated on the double century I did.

Reactions: clawhammer72
Rode my new bike last night, very slowly, down the street while my son walked/ran along the sidewalk. Man these shoes I got for my SPD pedals are digging into my shin when my foot is in the dorsiflexion position. Might have to return them.

that's nice. i bought myself my first bike last week. first since i was a teenager. Peugot mountain bike and i was given some street tires to put on it. going to ride it to school since that's only around a mile away. no sense in driving that and paying for parking. ya, used and in good condition. i've thought about riding it everywhere but i don't have any stores close by.

Nice bike Patrick. Wouldn't last too long on my roads and I wouldn't last long (no shoulders and tired truck drivers.)

Here's mine. An old Gary Fischer. Needs new tubes, a new seat, and the dust and cobwebs brushed off. One of these days I'll get back on it.

Thanks for the info Patrick and everyone else. Clawhammer... that might be a possibility but I do use it as a mountain bike sometimes. Its also a cheaper one, so I'd rather just save up a little a put the money into a decent road bike. Mine was a step up from wallmart, but still not very high end. I got it as a last year display model as is no manuals or anything $699 for $300 at Galyans like 10 years ago. Unfortunately just like with running, in the last decade I didnt do much of those things like biking I used to love. I did take a few trips, and one that I brought a camera. This is on some snowmobile trails in the northern Adirondacks near my folks cabin...

Thats all I got for bike trip pictures. But that was one of my favorite trips. Got up at sunrise and headed out. You can see the sun just poking through the trees in the middle pic. The trail passes by about 50 yards behind my folks cabin. It really is beautiful up there, you can bike for hours without coming out of the woods.

I did sign up on the bike forums but never posted. I usually do lots of reading and trying to get up to speed first rather than looking like an uninformed newbie asking millions of annoying questions.

Reactions: clawhammer72
Well I had my first fall related to those SPD pedals. I was rolling up my inclined driveway with my son standing there. I started talking to him, got distracted, bike stopped and I couldn't get my feet out of the pedals quick enough. Down I went. Skinned my knee a little, and didn't have my gloves on so scraped my palm too. Oh well, learned my lesson I guess.

Reactions: NickW
And don't push off with your fingers. :D

Well re-evaluating my situation, I have several other things I need to spend money on and probably wont be doing much biking until next year. I need to get a new computer, working on some finishing work in the basement, a new fridge, and at least one set of new tires if not 2 sets for my trucks before the snow flies. Oh and that 500 gallon propane tank is down to about 25%. Hopefully they will have some leftover 2012 deals still next year.

Reactions: dutchie53
Don't feel bad, I did this at a stop sign because my foot wouldn't unclip. Was right in front of a whole bunch of people and soooooooooo embarrassing! Not really sure why I didn't just unclip the other foot, but for some reason I got fixated on the foot that wouldn't unclip. I had plenty of time to do the other foot, just didn't do it. Oh, and I was very used to these kind of shoes and peddles as I had done several centuries in them by this time.

I was riding a local trail with a friend one day, and we came to a railroad tie buried in the ground. It was sticking up all of maybe two inches. I stood up and pulled up on my handlebars to clear it.
I didn't clear it. My bike stopped and I went over the handlebars.
Talk about embarrassing. :confused:

Reactions: NickW
I was riding a local trail with a friend one day, and we came to a railroad tie buried in the ground. It was sticking up all of maybe two inches. I stood up and pulled up on my handlebars to clear it.
I didn't clear it. My bike stopped and I went over the handlebars.
Talk about embarrassing. :confused:
Careful with stuff like that... That same thing happened while I was doing some mountain biking with my friend, when he biked over a small stick. Found out it was a root that was sticking up in the air a few inches. Over he went. Even after the resulting surgery his rotater cuff still gives him problems.

Oh, and I think I am pretty much giving up on my road bike dream until next year. Just dropped a little over a grand building a new computer.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test