My interview with Zola Budd By TJ

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
She's sponsored by Newton

She's sponsored by Newton Running nowadays.

So not to go off topic, but

So not to go off topic, but TJ you have a crazy look in your eyes in that picture. For a second I thought you'd jump right through my monitor and eat my kids! ;)

Seriously though, that must have been an awesome experience! Lucky girl! :beer:

It is the same way up here in

It is the same way up here in Canada. Requirement for gym in Winnipeg is a pair of 'supported' running shoes. We ended up getting our oldest a pair of Minimus, because I knew the gym teacher would of not accepted his VFF's because 'they do not look like running shoes and they have no support, so they must not be any good for sports, and god forbid he go barefoot'. Blah, blah, blah, still a lot of that up here, but it is slowly getting better.

Barefooting Bob wrote:It is

Barefooting Bob said:
It is the same way up here in Canada. Requirement for gym in Winnipeg is a pair of 'supported' running shoes. We ended up getting our oldest a pair of Minimus, because I knew the gym teacher would of not accepted his VFF's because 'they do not look like running shoes and they have no support, so they must not be any good for sports, and god forbid he go barefoot'. Blah, blah, blah, still a lot of that up here, but it is slowly getting better.

I'm dreading this kind of thing once my kids are in school, but it's hard to say how it'll be by then. I'm sure if it's a fight the schools want, I'll be giving it to them, but Mirei has a pair of the Merrell Barefoot Kids, but she doesn't really like wearing them and prefers to wear Crocs. She also changes her mind on being barefoot outside almost daily. once day she says "watch how fast I can run barefoot!" (and she IS fast barefoot) and the next day she says "running barefoot is dangerous!" I have no idea where she got that idea as my wife and I are obviously pretty open to the whole barefoot running thing ;) I'm leaving it up to her to make her own choices, so all I can do is make sure she has the best options available.

Geez, Smelph, thanks for the

Geez, Smelph, thanks for the complex. :-(

Probably had to do with my trying to get the guy taking the picture to realize the camera wasn't the problem on his fourth attempt to take the photo but his wearing the gloves were.

This IS a MUST SEE video: 

This IS a MUST SEE video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3JDiSq41HA&feature=related

Zola's first televised race on British soil, and her first recognised record, the British and Commonwealth women's junior 1500m. She beats the previous record by 9 seconds. Pay attention...she only needed an opening.

That is amazing TJ.  When

That is amazing TJ. When looking at her form, she has the perfect running form even while running fast. Her legs do not extend out in front of her and she is running flat without bouncing (actually kind of really noticeable in this video when you see how much the other competitors are bouncing behind her). When I picture running fast and am trying to run fast myself, that is exactly what I picture. Well, not her but that form.

Barefoot TJ wrote:This IS a

Barefoot TJ said:
This IS a MUST SEE video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3JDiSq41HA&feature=related

Zola's first televised race on British soil, and her first recognised record, the British and Commonwealth women's junior 1500m. She beats the previous record by 9 seconds. Pay attention...she only needed an opening.

Tj, Nice job with the interview! And great video, I put it on my facebook.

Well, you're lucky I removed

Well, you're lucky I removed the red-eye from the shot. :sick:

There is some great race

There is some great race footage out there of Zola running. I remember seeing here on TV when I lived back there. She had such a hard time from all the anti apartheid protesters that would regularly interrupt the races where she was taking part. It seemed that they blamed her for all South Africa's ills. A big burden to carry at such a young age.

Neil

This is a little silly, but

This is a little silly, but whenever I see her - because she is so slight and light - I am shocked by the amount of bosom she has. Beautiful race.

It is very sad, indeed,

It is very sad, indeed, Neil. She was just a kid! No child should carry the weight of the world on their shoulders. All she wanted to do was run!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts